help at 50 yards

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Pearce92, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    50 yards.jpg

30 yards i can rub 4 of 6 arrows with the other 2 still in the center ring. at 40 yards they are all in the center ring (most of the time) at 50 yards (pictured above) i can get 3 in the center ring but the other 3 are just way off. ill hit one in the center then one way off then one in the center and just repeat. im shooting correct spine i shoot with a kisser button so my anchor is easier to set every time. my grip is always loose. i just cant seem to keep my bow steady. i really dont think its target panic tho. or not a bad case of it. any help?

2. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Try shooting at 60 and 70 yards more often, this will naturally help you with your shots at 50,40,30,and so on.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I shoot longer distances I go through a mental checklist of every step.this helps me to be as consistent as possible

4. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have a 5 pin sight with my last pin at 50 yards. i practice at 50 to help on 40, 30, and 20 yard shots. i dont really wanna move pins that are already zeroed in to go farther distances

5. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Aim high and let it fly! Seriously, even aiming high with your 50 pin on a 60 yard target and consistently holding in the same spot will help your 50 yard shot.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  6. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    could give it a shot. i was beginning to think with the short 30 ATA it was just nature of the beast to have a hard time keeping it steady at longer didtances

7. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's a sad comment. Most will string jump u. get a g5 peep and mark it. do I need to post vid of the aim high and sn=moke a blunt? Too funny.

8. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A longer stabilizer helped me out a lot with holding steady at longer distances and just all around. If I were you go out and shoot one of two at 50 at the very beginning. You can concentrate and won't be tired from shooting before.

Sent from my XT901

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I got a sight with more pins. I was shooting 60 yards with my xtreme and had crazy tight groups.

In my opinion, to me the issue sounds mental. Don't go into the shot thinking you're going to miss 3 of 6. Take your time on each shot, really think it through. When you draw, make sure everything is in perfect order. When you release, hold the bow in the same position longer than you usually do...

10. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How is it a sad comment? Sometimes when youre shooting at target you do aim high and let it fly. Is it a bad thing no, does that me they will go out and do that on a deer probably not. If you Learn how high to hold a pin when shooting any distance it will help out.

Then no one said anything about a deer besides you. Also how will getting a g5 peep help?

Sent from my XT901

11. carbon-arch

carbon-arch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All good advice above. The only thing I can add to it is spend the majority of your shooting time at 50 yards.

12. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing it could be is jus fatigue, if your shooting six arrows at a time and your first couple shots ate good then they get little worse that may be cause. I have that problem sometimes especially this time of year when jus getting back into shooting a lot. Could be couple of your arrows being a little off and that will be more evident at longer distances.

13. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for all the advice! i have a 6in axion stab on it now (paid to much for it to get another new one) all my arrows are good and used but i shoot gold tip so that should be ok ;) and in the pic i posted that was early in the morning havent shot in 2 days and that pic was the 3rd round of 6. so i shouldnt have been tired and my first 12 arrows was similar. i guess im gonna go in with a good mind set and just practice practice practice.

14. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are the same 3 arrows the flyers every time? I like to number my arrows as time to time I will find that one always shoots a bit off....

15. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i never thought of this! i will have to do that hopefully today i can get some time to shoot!

16. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  17. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    striker, i have read that artical and i dont think it would hurt at all. but it just seems like a lot of work lol

18. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you, I've just done the first week so I haven't actually shot my bow just drawing and letting down with my eyes closed and it's been hard not to shoot but I told myself I'd give it an honest try so I'm going to see it through although I may cut the time frame a little bit say instead of a week for each section ill do it for three or four sessions. Good luck on figuring it out

19. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks! good luck with the target panic stuff!

20. jknierim

jknierim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just an off the wall question, but could you be having problems holding on the target because of trying to actually see the target? I know that when I was shooting a compound, I could not keep a steady pattern past 35yrd. I tried using my reading glasses, and it brought my pattern in a lot. I'm not saying this is the problem, I'm just wondering if it is a possibility.