Help a brother out?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Dan, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had a conversation via PM with Steve awhile back and I am very interested in shooting a trad bow. One problem, I admittedly have absolutely no idea where to start. :confused:

What can you guys recommend a newb to look for and get started?

As many of you know, I own a fishing and bear hunting camp in NW Ontario. The last bear I took was in 2003 (only year I hunted them up there) and want to take another one. But, this time I want to do it within 12 yards, from the ground and with a trad bow.

So, can you help a brother out? :cool:

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't a client of yours going to build you one?

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    He and I were going to do it together, but with the number of sport shows I'm doing this winter theres no time to do it before I head back to Canada the end of April. Unless I can find some time in April. I really wanted to do it from start to finish and document the whole thing on here, but this winter is kicking my ass. :bash:

4. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you want to buy new or used, is cost a factor, do you want a custom made or production. Generally I recommend finding a Bear Grizzly around 40-45# to start with as a first traditional bow. They are without argument, reliable, time tested, great shooters, relatively inexpensive and are plentiful to find.

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Not that cost isn't a factor, but its not the most important part to me. New or used, it doesn't matter. Custom or production, doesn't matter a whole lot at this point either. I just want to find a decent shooting bow that I can shoot everyday all summer and be proficient at 12 yards. The one thing I have to keep in mind is that it has to be minimum 55# to bear hunt with in Ontario.

Thanks a ton guys, I really want to learn as much as possible here! :cool:

6. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whatever kind of Traditional bow you decide to go with you should keep It In that 45lb range but since Ontario says different I suppose you better go with the minimum then that they require. Reason being you want to go with a light draw weight Is you've got to learn good consistent form and anchor point. Form and consistency Is so huge In shooting a traditional bow. Starting out with too many pounds results In bad habits that are a pain In the ass to get rid of. 45lbs will get the job done bear hunting without a doubt. As time goes on and you get your muscles and form Into check you could move up In weight to what you desire.

My biggest mistake was getting to heavy of a recurve when I 1st started hunting with my recurve. I started short drawing and man was It a pain to get out of that habit. Every once In a while I still catch myself doing It and this Is my 14th year hunting with a recurve. I let It go on way to long before I finally addressed the problem. If I would of started out lighter, It never would of happened to begin with. As far as what brand or what type of traditional bow you want to shoot, whatever feels best In your hand. To me (longbow, recurve) one's no better or easier then the other.

Have fun with It Dan, It's a blast!!

7. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Keep in mind your draw length. My 45# bows are 54-56# @ my 30" draw length. Rule of thumb is you will gain 3# for every inch over 28 inches. My 55# Bear Custom Take Down is 70# @ 30" because it's a 56" bow.

8. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome info guys! Thanks again!

I just reread the Ontario regs and I guess they must have changed since I last looked at them. Here's how it reads:

Bows must, at a draw length of
    700 mm (27.6 in.) or less, have a draw
    weight of at least 22 kilograms
    (48.5 lb.). Arrows must be at least
    600 mm (23.6 in.) long and have at
    a minimum a 22 mm (0.87 in.) wide
    arrow head with at least two cutting
    edges that are sharp, unserrated,
    barbless, straight and made of steel.

My draw length for my compound is 28.5", so from your statement VA it looks like a 45# bow would meet the 48.5# minimum. Would my assumption be correct?

9. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, but here's one other thing. Your draw length will most likely get 1 or 2 inches shorter with a recurve or longbow as in most cases.

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha.

Like both of you suggested, I'll most likely get a 45# bow and shoot it a ton starting in April. I don't want to develop any bad habits right away in the beginning. If I feel confident enough by September that I can kill a bear at 12-15 yards, it'll work.

11. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    By the way a 45# bow will kill an average black bear at 50 yards if you wanted to shoot that far. Remember that the rule for arrow weight is 100gr for every 10# of bow weight. Weight = penetration. We'll not get into 2 blade, 3 blade, 4 blade, double bevel or single bevel. FOC is a big topic right now. Figure out if you'll be shooting wood, carbon or aluminum. Get your bow tuned to the type of arrow you'll be using and have fun.

45# bow = 450gr arrow
    55# bow = 550gr arrow
    etc.

12. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    just a thought, go to the trad forum on the other site and sign up for the Yarra pass aroud kanga started. you'll get a chance to shoot a nice takedown longbow for a couple of weeks.

13. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I just bought my son a Grizzly for his birthday last week! Its a 69" that's 35# @ 28" and just plain fun to shoot! start out low poundage, 40/45 and get your form down, then get another bow thats legal to hunt with! Good thing about traditional bows is most of the time you can get your money back if you ever want to sell them Be careful Dan, its addicting!:d

14. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Yep. I have the Yarra right now, and its a SHOOTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!