Hello from Virginia

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by DCHunting, Sep 20, 2019.

1. DCHunting

DCHunting Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning everyone, I'm new to bow hunting just having started shooting late 2018 and gotten my hunting license this year for the first time -- looking forward to joining this community and learning from all the experienced bow hunters on these forums.

As a Virginia resident I've read up on potential locations to begin my hand at hunting Whitetail but am a firm believer that experience always trumps research -- if there is anybody here from Virginia that could lend some pointers as to where they feel are the ideal places to hunt in this state, I would greatly appreciate the insight

Thanks to all

2. Brandon backwoods

Brandon backwoods Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what part of Virginia your on im next to Kentucky on the Southwest side down here in the south we have alot of nice places up north its mostly deer farms and bait sites on state owned lands that i dont call hunting but like i said it depends

Rebel

3. DCHunting

DCHunting Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for reply Brandon, I live in Northern Virginia right outside Washington DC -- I'm fairly certain there's not going to be much opportunity or land for hunting around this area so I anticipate having to drive down South for weekends to do my hunts. Would ideally prefer to try my hand at spot and stalk hunting as opposed to tree stands but from what I've read it seems treestands are the norm here on PALs.

4. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of private private land here in the southeastern part of the state. Not much in the way of good public land. Private land is something you pretty much have to pay to play on

5. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to bowhunting! Your purchase of the license and archery tackle will go for continuing the sport under the Pittman-Robertson Act. This and the Wallop-Breaux Act are the only taxes that people actually wanted.

6. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I was still living in NOVA, I meet up with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCHunting likes this.
  7. DCHunting

DCHunting Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the insight guys, I'll have to do some research and find quality private lands that aren't too expensive for weekend hunts

8. 325Ranger82

325Ranger82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey DCHunting, man reading your post and ya give me anxiety as a brand new bow hunter first year looking for land this late in the year! But, my little piece of advice, you are pretty late in the game to look for hunting land or hunt clubs/leases! Most places and spots are all secured or you have missed work party events to help get ready for the season so they won’t be taking new members! But that shouldn’t stop you for looking for ops next year! Now for this year, not familiar with Va but have hunted several states! Look for their public land opportunities! Yep they are gonna be hard hunts as anyone can go in there and hunt and not having control of what others do will drive you nuts! But look for those places, and then try to get back in to the hard to reach spots that the majority will not travel too! Look at the map and see if there are any agriculture on the borders like corn fields or bean fields! Go into those areas! Scout a little and look for sign! Hoof prints, rub lines or scrapes! Don’t walk up to them and touch and stuff! If you see them make note and get away not leave scent! If the sign is there the deer are there! Look for heavy traveled deer trails! Find them, get a climber style stand and climb up 20 ft or so ( use a safety rope too)! Don’t hunt mornings in there unless you know the area well or ya gonna jump deer! Evening hunts IMO are easier on public land to get in without getting busted! If you can get in when deer are bedded (no guarantee) you will have a better chance! Also, wouldn’t hurt to just take a drive into the countryside and door knock a little and ask! Huge failure rate but you just may stumble upon one farmer who won’t mind ya helping him harvest deer to keep them out of his crops! Lastly as a new hunter, keep it simple right now! Don’t get caught up to much in the hype! Your gonna have a hard roe to hoe learning as well! Keep after and good luck buddy!! Hopefully ya find a club lease or hunting spot soon! Tomorrow is opening day here in Texas for archery and I am as giddy as a kid at Christmas! Good luck!! Shoot a bigun!!!

9. DCHunting

DCHunting Newb

Dislikes Received:
    @325Ranger82 -- I appreciate all the tips given in this post, I know it's definitely late in the season, just wanted to try and get my feet wet this year for the first time and use it more as a learning experience for hunting seasons going forward. Good luck to you this season and I hope opening day was a success!

325Ranger82 likes this.
  10. 325Ranger82

325Ranger82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Opening morning was a wreck! Everything went perfect until... had tons of deer on me! 7 bucks 4 doe! My target buck out of nowhere shows up! 5 yo 10pt! Are you serious two years in a row within a hour of opening day I am gonna get my target buck? He steps up 10 yards below me! I draw back.... arrow UN-nocks and falls hanging awkwardly in my whisker biscuit! I am like ?? WTF just happened!!! Had to let off, and fix everything and by that time him and his posse knew something wasn’t right and left and never gave me another chance! Rookie rookie rookie!! I either didn’t fully nock my arrow or I pushed it off slightly when I went to attach release! Either or... I suck!! I damn near cried!! Could not believe he walked out for me!! Been a couple more times and all the other players have shown up... except him! He is big and got some age for a reason.. he ain’t dumb! Go find ya done land and get hot!! Good luck!!

DCHunting likes this.