Helical vanes.. Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bgusty, Jul 7, 2014.

1. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I currently shoot the standard straight vanes, and use fixed blade broadheads. Am I really missing out by not using helical vanes? Does it really make a huge difference for flight and groupings? My groups are pretty decent so far, and the practice montec heads I use fly the same as my field points. If it really makes a big difference on accuracy, why don't arrows come standard with helical vanes. I shoot with a QAD rest, so vane clearance isn't an issue.

If specs matter at all, I am shooting my Helim at 29.5" draw, and 58-60 lb draw weight. Arrows are GT velocity XT at 7.4 GPI. 355 total grains with tip, shooting around 290-300 FPS (I think).

Lastly, if you all really think I should go with helical vanes, what equipment do I need, and how hard/ expensive is it? I have 2 dozen arrows right now and would probably start by changing about 6 to see how they fly. Is it worth it to buy the equipment at that point or would it make sense to have a pro shop do it for me to start?

2. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is my opinion:The best accuracy will be given by the arrow that interacts least with the air it flies through. This is because the air outside is not uniform, but is instead lumpy.You only want the vanes to interact to keep the arrow straight. This means straight vanes with no offset. The arrow should also be relatively point heavy.Helical vanes provide lots of spin and lots of drag. These are good things for unruly*arrows*that would otherwise be unstable (very low point weight) or very reactive to their own "steering" effect (broadheads).Helical or similar fletching will, I believe, always give you the best accuracy on*arrows*that don't quite behave as we would like. If you have a well-behaved arrow that wants to fly true in its own, then straight vanes are best.Again, this is just my opinion.
    Usually at the shop i work part time at i install them for guys with bigger fixed blades to fly more accurate.

3. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am glad this thread came up, I wanted to switch to fixed blades this fall. I literally just fletched my arrows a few weeks ago so I was hoping that I could get away with straight fletch. Anyone else out there use straight fletch with fixed blades?

4. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I do not completely agree with solocam. In my experience, an arrow with a helical fletching will be more accurate than a straight fletched arrow. The spin that is created from a helical stabilizes an arrow making it more accurate. The negative effects of helical comes with speed. The air resistance mentioned by solocam above slows down the arrow faster. The slower speed is caused since some of the energy used in velocity is diverted to spinning the arrow. However, the speed loss is negligible at hunting distances with helical vanes. This speed loss will be more pronounced the lighter the arrow because a higher percentage of energy is used to spin a straight flectched arrow. So the heavier your arrow the less difference you will see in speed. My preference is to sacrifice a little speed for increased accuracy, so I prefer helical fletching on my arrows.

5. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What about a 1 degree right offset? I too just fletched up some new arrows with this type of offset and will be shooting fixed heads this year....I never thought too much into this, but think the 1 degree offset will suffice?

6. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have your bow properly tuned it doesn't matter what vanes you are shooting.

7. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    When is comes to straight, offset, helical here is what physics tells us:

Speed: Straight > Offset > Helical
    Accuracy: Helical > Offset > Straight

The offset fletching will always fall between the straight and helical. There is air resistance with offset but it is not as much as a helical.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  8. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks GA, still waiting on my Solids to get here since the 125's are on backorder right now. Once they come in I'm going to see how they fly and make my assessment to see if I will peel off my wraps a re-fletch or not...after all I want to say i don't feel it will be "that" big of a difference.

9. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since the Muzzy Trocar has "helix" blades would that help resolve the need for helical vanes?

10. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly I would not call it a "need" for helical vanes. I see it more as a preference, because the effects on accuracy and speed is negligible. I just prefer the increased accuracy.

As for the Muzzy Trocar, I am not sure a "helical" blade would have the same effect as helical vanes. I have never shot them (or experimented with them), but it seems the physics would be different.

11. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate all the feedback. I live in Chicago so my chances to tune arrows/broadheads are pretty slim. I imagine I would get in some major trouble if I go to the lake front range and start chucking broadheads.

12. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    I would def find a place where you can though...def shoot them and see how they fly...I wouldn't wait to find out on a deer.

13. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No question. Been a slow day at work so I have been thinking about this more than I probably should. Planning on going to my friends place this weekend, but wanted to see what everyone thought about trying these out straight fletch before I gave it a try. Appreciate all the input.

14. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you can, I'd recommend getting a good helical fletched arrow and compare to what you now shoot. I used to shoot straight fletched Blazer with no complaints and was happy with my groups. Then tried a helical fletched 2 inch razr feather and for me it was night and day. the spinning helical fletched arrow just seems more precise. like putting a spin on a football, bullet, or anything else you launch through air Some don't see a benefit but for me was very much worth the switch. good luck with it.

15. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let your arrows tell you. Put a bh on one and field tip on one. See if there is a difference. Try with and without helical... every bow, arrow and release are different from person to person. Figure out what works best for you and do it. For me... right helical, hands down. I like right because it spins the heads in a tightening direction.

16. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Helical is what most of the olympic archers use. Even a spinning bullet without any vanes will be way more accurate than a round ball.

17. Scooter135

Scooter135 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldnthink that with a compound bow pushing over 250fps a slight give up in speed for accuracy is a no brainer. I shoot a slight right helical on my GT's and they do drop my fps about 10 from 168 to 158 with field tips. With a recurve the accuracy is a no brainer with instinctive shooting.

18. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright well now that you all have me thinking I should give helical a try, if I use arrow wraps, how much is that extra weight going to mess up my FOC or overall arrow weight?

19. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Plain and simple, helical helps to prevent the broadhead taking over and steering the shaft when it meets interference, such as wind or shooter induced torque. This makes helical much more "forgiving" than straight.

Imo, it is just silly not to use helical with a fixed blade broadhead.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  20. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gong from no wrap and blazer vanes to wrap and 2 inch razr feathers I gain a little in FOC because the vanes weigh more than the Razr feathers and wrap. if you stay with the same vanes you are using and just helical fletch them vice straight fletch the only weight cost would be the wrap if you use a wrap with helical but not with straight fletch. if you use a wrap on both I don't see where FOC would change at all.