Heavy Weight Baselayer!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BowFreak, Apr 27, 2011.

1. BowFreak

BowFreak Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking to purchase a new heavy weight baselayer. I have pretty much decided I want it to be wool. I am really looking at the scent blocker heavy weight stuff, and I am not intrested in the scent control part just the quality. With that being said, what heavy weight base layers are you guys going to be wearing this season and what are some recommendations?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    IMO you can't go wrong with the ScentBlocker S3 Merino Wool in any weight. I own both the mid and heavy weight versions and they are GREAT. I've worn quite a few base/insulating layers and these are hands down the best I've tried to date.

3. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll just put "ditto" to JZ's post.... seriously, I've tried UnderArmour, worn the old polypropolene stuff from Army days, various versions of "insulated underwear"... and like Justin now own all the Scentblocker stuff in all the varying weights in their merino wool.

Awesome stuff.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Also - one thing to remember on these garments it that they are NOT activated carbon. I know a lot of people don't buy into that technology, which is fine. The only odor elimination properties it has is the S3 antimicrobial technology which just helps to stop odor-causing bateria from forming so they stay scent free longer.

After two full seasons of use and probably more than 2 dozen washings mine have held up very well.

5. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using some Russell APX for a heavy base layer and it work very well. I live in Wisconsin and it keeps me warm with a couple other layers.

6. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    reebok makes some good cold weather gear. i'll usually put a reg old UA tight moisture wicking layer on first then a semi tight heavier style (UA= 3.0, Reebok= waffle, Nike = Compression) then a fleece loose layer for bulk and last my jacket. usually wait till i get to my stand for the fleece + jacket as not to sweat. i dont get cold very easy and really only sit 3-4 time/yr all day. most sits just 3-4hrs and i can usually get by dressing pretty light for that time span

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  7. BowFreak

BowFreak Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can honestly say I did not know that about the S3. Thanks for the info Justin.

8. MichiganYoungBlood

MichiganYoungBlood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    baselayers

i currently use UA 3.0 that i got for christmas. i love the stuff and would not use anything else. the only thing is that it is not cheap.