Heater body suit, Warmbag, etc.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Logman, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been following this thread with great interest, because as I get older, I have a tough time staying warm during weather below 20 degrees. I especially have problems keeping my feet warm.

Perhaps I can get some opinions regarding this line of thinking: For keeping your lower body, especially feet, warm, it would appear that the IWOM may have the edge due to the fact that your lower extremities are together inside a nice, insulated bag.

The HBS has separate leg compartments, but they appear to be large enough to trap plenty of body heat, and help the feet stay warm.

The IWOM has more of a parka-type upper body section, which appeals to me as I spend a lot of time with my bow on my lap when I hunt. (Early season especially, we have some really thick areas on our property where it pays to have that bow ready, as the deer can be on you before you see or hear them.)

I do plan to have one of these insulated suits before next season, but I am just eating myself alive trying to decide which is better for my needs. I guess in one light, that's a good problem to have! (The wife is cool with the purchase, so that's helps!)

Thanks for all the input so far, this is a very helpful thread!

2. archer2

archer2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been following this thread and others on AT on this subject.

I am currently leaning toward the IWOM, but am not fully decided. I need something for late season. The only concern I have is how bulky the sleeves are on the IWOM for string clearance.

I also currently pack in my outer layers and mid layers some times to avoid sweating on the walk in, so I would think that packing in a body suit should not be anymore of a burden than I already have.

3. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get some of the adhesive Hothands warmers and place them on a undershirt in the area of your kidneys and you will stay warm. They also make a snap belt that holds two handwarmers. Both work great.

4. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I keep putting it off, but I AM going to get one. One of the best big buck killers I know bought one three years ago, and said that it's made him twice the hunter, and that's saying something.

5. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hope to have a HBS by next year. I have a friend with one and he loves it.

6. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a HQ Issue, Tactical sleeping bag with arms from Sportsman Guide this year. Worked great and kept me very warm. Only $55.97 with shipping, well worth the money, ordered one for my Dad. Definitely had to use an arm sock because the arms are a little bulky, not bad though.

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm right there with you brother. lol I may hit Alberta again next year, if I do I'll have a HBS with me. Alberta=bitter cold!

8. hillrunner

hillrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my HBS. I find I get busted far less in it as all my movement is hidden inside the bag. Coming out of the suit is incredibly silent. I have killed many good bucks from inside of it. I love cold weather hunting and with the hbs I NEVER get cold. I have yet to find anyone who owns a HBS and does not love it.

9. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all of the help guys! Decisions decisions