heated vest?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tc racing, Dec 6, 2019.

1. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i'm looking to buy a heated vest and was wondering what you guys think is the best one on the market. i was checking into the milwaukee but wasn't sure if there is any better? pros cons if any?

2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Milwaukee vest. I have been very pleased with it so far. This my second season with it. In addition to wearing it hunting I wear it down hill skiing. I has held up great so far with no issues. I bought the larger battery for it. I would definitely recommend it.

tc racing likes this.
  3. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The vest is great but it's a nylon type outer material, so it can be a bit loud for bowhunting. I do use it but only if I have some fleece layers over it.
    The Milwaukee hoody is silent and a better choice IMO, I have both. Totally worth the money

Sota and tc racing like this.
  4. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    i have a bunch of the m18 fuel batteries. will they work or can you only use the m12 style batteries? with late season coming i thought this might be a good xmas present for myself.

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the heated jacket and love it. I do wear it after long sleeve, pre jacket. I get 3 hrs of hot or 4 of warming.
    Only thing I do not like is the battery is very bulky and it's position is right at my belt line

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

tc racing likes this.
  6. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This works only with the M12 batteries. You'll need at least a couple of 2.0's for longer sits, but the bigger sizes are even better if you want to use the highest setting for hours or all day. The 1.5's don't cut it.
    Do you have the combo charger? If so, just buy the jacket alone and find a deal on some batteries.
    With all of the black Friday and cyber sales that were just on, some great deals on batteries can be found on Ebay.

tc racing likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the hoodie, it is nice and all but 1 battery will not cut it.

tc racing likes this.
  8. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure they make a adapter to be able to use the m18 batteries. Idk what it cost vs a m12 battery but if you already have a bunch of m18's might be something to look into.

Edit: I went a head and found it, mostly cause i was curious. The site used is toolbarn.com. I've orderes from them before and they do pretty good. Haven't used one of these but I agree with what everyone else has said, if you're goin the Milwaukee heated gear route you'll need two batteries. I've got one of the older m12's and then one of the 2.0's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    tc racing, FEB, Sota and 1 other person like this.
  9. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. Not sure if I want to be lugging around the M18's though. I think 1-M12 in the 4.0 or 6.0 would probably last all day. Maybe take 1-2.0 for end of the day backup.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the setting but the battery life is not long enough.

11. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Which size are ya using? I just used a 4.0 on the highest setting for 5 hours and shut it off, it never died. The 1.5 that comes with it is useless, the 2.0 will get you a couple of hours on high.
    I just got a 6.0 with a tool package I bought, that I haven't tried yet.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I only have the battery that came with the coat, not sure what size it is.

13. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for all of the input guys. i'm going to get the jacket only. then i'll pick up an adapter or buy bigger batteries separately.

14. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea that was my thoughts when I saw it. The m12's enough to lug around, imo, but I guess if you were just sitting in stand maybe these wouldn't be bad. I seem to remember seeing a cord extension somewhere too but not sure. If that was case maybe could find better place to store battery. Of course then there the possibility of having a cord to get in the way. My 2.0 seems to work good for me, but I've never sat long enough to worry about it dying.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I used the Milwaukee hoodie for a few years and it served me well. However, I recently picked up a heated vest made by Pnuma and it's far and away better for the type of hunting I do. This vest is a light-weight/stretchy material that's designed to be worn close to your skin. I wear it directly on top of my base layer, then my insulating layer on top of the vest. Since it's so thin you barely know it's there and due to the stretchy material I'm able to get the battery low enough to go under my pants and below my belt. So it basically sits at the very top of my left thigh, which is the perfect "out of the way" location for me. Honestly, I never even know it's there. Battery life is good enough for one hunt at a time, which is to be expected. The vest has "pre-heat" mode when you first turn it on that cranks up the heat right away and dang, that feels GOOD on a cold morning. With forecasted temps in the teens and single digits this week, my batteries are charged and ready for duty.

The biggest con I have is that the battery is a proprietary connection - much like the Milwaukee. I certainly wish they would make them more universal (USB) and allow you to use any battery pack you want - even if it weighs 5 lbs. Outside of that, I have been very happy with it.

16. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Any chance you have a link?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Fix likes this.
  18. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    MUDSHARK and Justin like this.
  19. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Joe, the wifey just purchased this for me. This thing is the bomb! She also purchased a 13,000 mAh battery for it, which should keep it going for many hours. I got a feeling this is going to be a major solution for staying warm for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MUDSHARK and Swamp Stalker like this.
  20. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! you are going to love it! I wear mine over a t-shirt, then my good thermal layer over it (to keep it pressed against my body), then jacket. On the lowest setting it is hot!!