***Heart Shot Heroes - Team #3 Thread!!****

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by Swamp Stalker, Aug 16, 2015.

1. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back home from the morning sit. I missed an opportunity to shoot a coyote....the son of a gun was 5 yards from my stand. This morning I took both my rifle and bow, with the intention of using my bow unless I needed to reach out at a buck.

Well about 7:30 a coyote come trotting by so I grab the bow and stand up as quickly as I can. I made a little to much movement, to fast, to loud and it scared him to a full run haha. So I quickly put my bow down and grabbed the rifle. By the time I got it, he was already in thick brush that I couldn't see through.....

Next time i'm grabbing straight for the rifle.

2. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another year...tag soup. About 445 a four wheeler comes flying through the woods...sending turkeys flying over head. I'm thinking there goes anything. Had two yearlings and a nice doe. Doe ran off, not sure why, but yearlings stayed...in the brush. Bigger one stepped into what I thought was an opening, I flung an arrow, right under. NO idea how I missed. Get down at dark, go over and it's all green pricker limbs and some little sapling limbs. I am guessing I hit one and it dropped it. Part of me says for better, it deserved another year. But, not having gun rights to property, who knows if it'll make it. I am so frustrated.

If late season is nice, I'll go out and try...but can't guarantee. I'll try the two Saturdays of rifle, because we need meat.

Sorry team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

3. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you can get one during gun season! My season sounds about Iike yours, frustrating. If it wasn't for that little buck stepping out in front of me, id be in the same position. Hope you can get out late season for a few sits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No need to be sorry Kristen, that's why it's called hunting and not killing!!

We are in route back to Maine. About 5 hours left to go. Left Illinois at 8:45am this morning.

I am on the sidelines as far as points for the rest of the season for the team. I've got two Maine buck tags and two doe tags I can use. I'll try to fill atleast one buck tag, we will see.

5. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Sparrow... my apologies for not saying it last post... what a stud...

Happens PinkPony... no worries... just keep at it...
    Been very slow here... seen a few, but no shots... only does... been getting pics of a big 8... but haven't seen him yet. just gotta get lucky. Gonna try to get out a couple of afternoons this week... but so busy at work im not sure how it will play out.

6. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I figured I did roughly 100 hours in the stands this year. Which, to me, is a ton. I usually never hunt the whole season because it usually becomes awful towards the end with snow. This year I hunted the whole season, plus many nights after work due to this new job. I had many close encounters. I flung two arrows and missed with each. The first never should have left my bow and thankfully it was a clean miss. I had the buck broadside that my husband ran off (and never got a shot) and I had the doe I missed the last night. I learned the pattern of the deer. I learned the patience and skill of moving slowly/quietly. I learned a lot this season. I also seen more deer this season then my last three combined.

I asked for my husband to hang a stand on our wood line so I can practice shooting from my tree stand. This is my next big thing to have accomplished by next year.

I also learned to always wear your harness. Found out my 80 year old neighbor fell from his stand - thankfully he is alive and well. He fractured a vertebrae in his back. Has to do PT three times a week - but thinks he'll get out for gun season. You just never know.

It was a good year. My frustrations of another miss have finally left and made me realize this.

7. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear you learned so much this season! Sounds like a successful season to me, even with no deer tagged!! Learning the deer movement always made me more excited for the next season so I could apply what I learned

8. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    every unsuccessful season can be a successful season. We just need to learn how to take the positives out of negative situations.
    If that can be accomplished, it has been a success. Easier said than done... I know.

We can't hunt in MA on Sundays. I had a meeting not too far from one of my stands (about 40 min away). I checked the card yesterday early afternoon and my heart sank. the big mature 8 I have been hunting was under my stand at 4:50pm on Sunday afternoon... ugh... couldn't get in yesterday... headed there this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon... then not again until Fri afternoon and Sat both.

9. HuntMaine

Dislikes Received:
    Well I was able to check the trail cameras I have out behind my house this morning. Was greeted with a pleasant surprise!!
    I have not hunted this area yet, it is all new to me so I have a lot of learning to do, but this sure helps!

I can still kill him with either a bow or gun. I'm hoping we get some snow so I can find his track and kill him that way!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Holy long tines!

11. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    that's a slammer Maine! Hope you get a crack at him.
    Went yesterday.. nothing.. hoping to get out tonight.

12. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck if you do get out.

13. Thwack1

Thwack1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I though I was gonna get it done tonight. I pulled cams mid day and saw the high tine 8 had relocated and was being awful carless about the times he was checking bedding areas. So I made the call to sit in a stand I've been avoiding because I got busted in it a few weeks back by a swirling wind. I climbed up about 1 and got settled in. Gave a few grunts and a rattling sequence about 315. Just as I expected the does were cautious of the spot and skirted it in the brush off to my left. I'm watching them sneak through and I catch something bright white out of the corner of my left eye. Here he comes down the trail behind me right at me!! Needless to say I could see the hero shot already. I grab my bow and as he comes to the only split in the trail and stops dead........ 36 yards through brush. He is 10 steps away from the end of his life at 20 yards. He Checks the wind a couple of times and as if he sensed something wasn't right, he heads down the other trail and toward where the does are!!!!!!! Ughhhh noooo!!!! I grunt nothing. I bleat nothing. Finally I grab the horns and tickle them again and he spins and comes back!!!!!! But with nothing to coax him into the open he simpler walks a big circle in the brush and slowly walks right out of my life. I've never been so let down. The only upside is if he's smart he'll hang out the next few days and live through the shotgun season. Maybe I'll get a crack at him again tomorrow but I'm not holding out much hope for it.

Congrats to all who have connected and good luck to all with their respective gun seasons!

14. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like an awesome encounter thwack! Stay at em, he'll slip up again!

15. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    awesome encounter Thwack... disappointing, but exciting

16. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    That's enough to get your heart pumping, Thwack. Sorry it didn't connect - but awesome nonetheless!!

17. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Reminder - Don't forget to put your buck up for points, SparrowHawk!

18. HuntMaine

Dislikes Received:
    Thwack, it sounds like he is thinking with the wrong head as well as his brain.. Hopefully that switches away from his brain in the next few days and you get an arrow into him!!

19. HuntMaine

Dislikes Received:
    Jeeze Sparrow I skipped right over your post, thats a great buck and congrats!!! I also was not able to self film mine as the damn record button on my lanc remote didn't tell the camera to record when I pressed it.. Same thing happened to me out there last year with the buck that I shot..

Get that bad boy posted to the score card! We aren't too bad on the leadership board now, lets keep chugging along team!

20. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Well lady's and gents. I killed 2 does this morning....but not with a bow. Took them with the 7mm mag.

I took my bow and rifle. They cam in to 20 yards so I grabbed the bow. The momma doe was a little spooky so she stayed in the brush. She eventually retreated and that's when I put the now down and got the rifle.

[​IMG]