Hay Bale Blind

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by usmc0317, Apr 1, 2018.

1. usmc0317

usmc0317 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If anyone is looking for an idea on how they can hunt a location that never offered a tree stand opportunity or the right wind, maybe you can get a few ideas from this project. I'm building a few bale blinds and the next ones I am going to alter in a few different ways after learning from the first go around. I didnt re Basically I am going to be using these on the East side of late season food where I have a small trail cut through my screen right to the blind so I can enter and exit the blind with the field full of deer on any West wind and use these spots consistently rather than trying to climb out of a tree and clearing the field. It might not be necessary but I am going to set a few round bales along side of the blind and some other spots around the edges where it will help cover my movement entering and exiting.

Attached Files:

CJ navy, Englishman and Blarney22 like this.
  2. usmc0317

usmc0317 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I added little peep windows on the side I plan to have the blind face, and can film from without opening the entire window. The next blind I am going to only have windows on the shooting side of the blind so it will be more efficient on scent control and really keep it as dark as possible in the blind. I also would have one small window in the middle but lower for filming to keep the camera arm out of the way when it comes to making a shot.

Attached Files:

3. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That looks awesome. I think the new improvements will definitely make a difference.

usmc0317 likes this.
  4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks good! I have plans to make one or two this summer as well.

usmc0317 likes this.
  5. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What are you using for your cover material? I thought I would use landscaping rolls, basically straw wove into webbing, but the straw is so fine it falls out and blows away.

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice.

usmc0317 likes this.
  7. usmc0317

usmc0317 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used the same thing, there are a lot of companies that make basically the same stuff. One issue is that the netting is biodegradable, so the wind will probably have the blind pretty bare after the first year and the webbing will fall apart eventually making it worse. I sprayed the outside of the blind with adhesive, put a few layers of the EMat down, ran a few strands of rope to keep it in place, then ran chicken wire around it to try and preserve the matting as long as possible. If I notice a spot getting a little bare I can just grab a little grass off a round bale and stuff it under my chicken wire.

8. CampRipleyLF

CampRipleyLF Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cool, just curious on your total cost to produce the bale blind?

9. usmc0317

usmc0317 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe around $150 or a little more. The next blinds I build will be cheaper because I am going to tweak a few things.

10. Junior93

Junior93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking at building one and really like your design. Just wondering since you have already used it, what are the things that you are looking to tweak with it?

Thank you!

11. usmc0317

usmc0317 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well this will be the first year hunting out of them so I might have to make some more adjustments after the season. I am about to build another one next week and really the only changes I am going to make on this one because of its location is having only windows on one side, and no window on the door. I want it to be as dark and scent locked as possible. I am going to use actual cattle panels instead of the thinner gauge wire. I am going to make one very small window in the center between windows that I can leave open with the others shut while hunting for observing and filming. I am going to mount a 4x4 to the floor to attach my camera arm to so it is more out of the way and easier to film out any window. I will probably use less erosion control netting and just have small tie on lengths of parachute cord hanging off the blind to attach hay from the bales I have. This way I can always add more where I see fit throughout the year. Other than that I think they will work really well. I just dropped off the first blind which will sit on the edge of my Egyptian wheat screen. I should be able to get right in and out of the blind with the way I have these screens laid out.

12. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in Iowa several guys use a wagon to build their blind on. The old style barge box, usually 5 X 9 with a flat floor and 30" sides for starters to build from. Deer see wagons all the time and think nothing of them being around any place in the fields. Hay bale blinds are starting to show up here also but have never looked at them up close. Good luck with you venture.

13. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks awesome man. I’m currently working on one and I’ve been debating on how to adhesion or stick the hay to the black wrap that I’ll be installing. Hopefully I’ll have it done in a week or so!!

14. usmc0317

usmc0317 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have two haybale blinds for sale. $500 each or come get them both for $900. (Near Clintonville WI) I built them last year and they are very well built, quiet, comfortable, warm, and easy to shoot a bow out of. I no longer have my lease so I am getting rid of them. After a year of pretty brutal conditions and some strong winds there is virtually no wear on them. I built them to fit inside a normal size pickup bed. They fit two people comfortably and are not very heavy so they can be moved around easily but heavy enough to not be blown over. Multiple shooting windows, and multiple small peep windows to look out of if you want the large windows closed while hunting. They also have a mount for a camera arm and small windows to film out of if you wanted to. Text me for more info or pictures. 920-257-6412

Attached Files:

15. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice blinds and DIY to boot!

16. TravisSouth

TravisSouth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great writeup. Maybe I'll take the cop out route and dress up a hub blind to look like a stack of square bales :)