Having to use hip waders to access my stand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Michael George, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Michael George

Michael George Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A couple of years ago beavers built a dam across the creek on my property. I didn't mind the dam because it added new critters to watch and bigger fish moved into the waters. I also used the dam as a screen to move to my tree stand without spooking any deer that might be bedded along the creek. Due to family emergencies and COVID I haven't been able to spend much time on the property since last season. During that time the beavers went crazy and built a series of terracing dams below the main dam. This has turned most of the creek bottom into a bog with multiple "pools" to try and cross. I spent two weekends trying to cut a new trail to my tree stand; but all routes ended being blocked by water.

I am working on getting the beavers removed; but am now faced with two choices: approach my stand from above the dams, which has me walking through bedding and staging areas; or try and cross the bog and series of smaller dams which will require the use of hip waders.

I'm asking if anyone has hunted this way. Any recommendations on waders? Do you keep them on all day or switch to other boots once on stand?

Any recommendations or information will be greatly appreciated.

2. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No way I’d wear hip waders all day. Not sure I’d put up with the weight, noise and time required to take off or put on.
    Sounds to me like the beavers got to go. That in itself is a big issue. State may stick its nose in that problem and convincing beavers to go away is not easy. Find someone who loves to trap.

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In all honesty I would be doing everything I could to get the beaver out of there, which I'm sure you are doing. Trapping would be my first attempt.
    As much as it sucks, I would be tirelessly searching for a backup hunting spot until I could reclaim the old one. No way I would deal with sloshing through a bog to hunt. Even if I did, my swear jar would cause a second change shortage in the country if I was actually successful and had to get a deer out of that bog.
    To directly answer your question. No way you can risk walking through the bedding area, so waders would have to be used. While I don't have a brand to recommend, I'd suggest looking for chest high waders vs. waist high if the water is even close to being waist deep.
    I would take them off as soon as I got to my stand. No idea what I'd do with them at that point though. Don't want to leave them on the ground and don't want them flapping around from a tree branch or the stand.

4. marshbanks12

marshbanks12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All my public spots require hip waders. I wear them down from the truck and after I cross I take them off and tie them up in a tree with paracord so I don’t have to carry them.

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Camofire has these on sale today for 60% off. They sound like they would be perfect for your situation. I am actually thinking getting some to increase my access route opportunities.

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/74

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've used either hip or chest waders on several occasions to access my stands. Depending on the length of the walk before I get into the water I would either wear them out from the truck, or stop and put them on before I crossed. After crossing the water I always removed them and put my regular hunting boots back on. No way I was going to hunt in those things all day.

I always used LaCrosse waders without any issues.

bowhtr1 likes this.
  7. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use lacrosse hip boots. Very comfortable. I just fold them down when not needed. When the water is down I use regular lacrosse rubber boots.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your land ? Get rid of them, damage control---keep busting up dams ! A liberal amount of black powder in a pvc tube works well

9. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    City tried to eliminate beavers. Federal government stepped in and said that was protected wet land. Finally got them relocated.

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’m a duck hunter at heart and have hunted sun up to sundown in chest waders more days than I can count. Like anything money buys comfort. A good pair will be comfortable and warm. A cheap pair will be a nuisance. I’ve used cheat waders to wade through creeks to access my stands and hunted out of them all day no problem.

11. djandy

djandy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    wished i had your problem having a creek on my own land.

12. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry didn't read all post ,so may be a repeat. Have you thought about getting permission to blow up the dams? That is once beavers are gone. Does your state have water way restoration plans they could help you

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  13. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I use them I take them off as soon as I cross what I need to and tuck them in somewhere then back on when I’m headed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk