Having an off year with bucks.

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by CoveyMaster, Aug 1, 2016.

1. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I think that they have reached the impressive stage already. You have some awesome genes for sure.

I rode the wheeler down back tonight and watched a big for us, 90" six pointer in the beans and couldn't help think that he'll taste good this winter.

2. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I ran 11 cameras from August through November last year, on nearly 600 acres, low deer density area but I had really good quantities of doe and fawn recruitment was fantastic. Never had a single buck on camera until the first week of November, same 3 bucks walked by two separate cameras on opposite ends of the property 3/4 of a mile apart. Never saw another buck. That should make you feel a little better!

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ha, I was just kidding about getting bigger forever. I've enjoyed watching them over the years and there will be new ones to take their place as time goes by. Decent genetics for sure, KS habitat is a big part of it, lots of crops, land and low hunting pressure. I imagine hunting pressure here on the east ranch properties will be up this year though. It needs to be, they need thinned down a bit, my bean field edges have really been pressured hard this year even with the feeders, food plots and surrounding crops.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are 150 acres of beans planted on our land and we have 7 different bucks showing up regularly and the biggest one "MIGHT" hit a solid 100"! And yes they sure are fun to watch. (even our little ones, by your standards!)

5. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lol any of those bucks would be the biggest I'd have on camera between my 3 places I can hunt...... Down year of bucks for me for sure

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of those bucks are on one 350 acre property, the rest are on another 300 acre property. I haven't posted any pics of deer here at home or on the other four properties. The better bucks are usually on the property over in another county but I stopped running those cameras, another ranch employee lives closer to that place and it's harder for me to drive the 35 miles one way to run cameras and feeders very often over there with the twenty plus cameras and 10 feeders ones I run here.

Our deer density is insane and that first 350 acre property is an island of overgrown brush and CRP surrounded by crop and mixed brush and very very low human population for miles around.

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's funny, even when we aren't jabbing each other it seems like we are. I was actually showing sympathy for Covey and all his little deer. :lmao:

8. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you need some "human" pressure. I'm just up the road............

9. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is clear that you have a good age structure on your property!