Having an off year with bucks.

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by CoveyMaster, Aug 1, 2016.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A little disappointed in our bucks this year. My old regulars, the one's that are still around, are so old this year that most of them have regressed. The one I named Crossbow two years ago, regressed some last year but was still really nice, this year he is still an eleven point but has a small frame and short tines. I was happy to see he and his running mate were still alive but pretty bummed that they have both slid backwards this year.

Missing the one I named Bone-afide as well. I know there is a bachelor group of older bucks from one property that is running the neighbors CRP that have not come back yet, the neighbor on the other side of him has a lot of corn and beans over there. I don't know who all is in that group or if they'll come back. Bone-afide may be running with them but I think he probably didn't survive winter. The last I saw of him in January he was really poor. Also missing one named Sixbyfive but I still have a few cameras to run yet.

Still have several nice deer on all the properties, it's just kind of sad seeing these old boys go down hill. I guess on the bright side it's nice to see several 7,8,9 year old deer live that long.

2. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    still time for more to show up...

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bought dang time :evilgrin: lol!

4. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best way to make sure you're not disappointed when the regress? Shoot them before they do, I'm all for helping out ;)

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to fret a great deal about the bucks that show up on camera or didn't show up. The bucks will come when the time is right.

6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah shut it down, I wouldn't even buy a tag faced with those prospects.;)

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah Sota you right....time to just cleanse that area of terrible genetics too. Covey just open it up to all of us for one year, we'll wipe it clean and then the place can let mother nature hit a reset button...give it 4 or 5 years you'll be much happier than.

:chewy:

9. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I'm looking for some bucks that regressed like that, nothing good on my cameras yet.

10. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I did say we still have nice deer everywhere...

The buck in that fifth pic down in the foreground is not all that old and he's actually gained quite a bit over last year. I think he may be the nicest one I have so far this year. Good tine length and nice mass. He was a lop sided mess last year. The old one in the last pic has gained a little over last year as well. I missed this old guy, I'm not sure I even recognize him from last year:
    [​IMG]

I have several nice young ones coming up though if they keep improving with age.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What a tough life you have. :poke: haha still nice deer for sure. Who is your number 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That narrow tall buck in the 5th pic is awesome. Dang man!

13. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Two categories, one for age and one for inches of antler.
    Right now the inches of antler cat. would probably be between two bucks based off net score.
    Big clean 8 point I chased a little last year, very clean, wide, nice tine length and nice mass.
    [​IMG]
    This one that was in the first post, 5th pic. Best gross score on camera so far (probably). Cool features and a ten point, nice tine length, good mass and nice main beam length.
    [​IMG]

Age, any time you can take a 5+ year old deer, it's a big accomplishment in my book, both from a management and a hunter point of view. It's tricky to narrow down age precisely but many of these I have a decent idea based on history how old they are at minimum. Most of the ones that have regressed it's safe to say are older than 5. Some I aged at 5 years old 2-3 years ago, some at 4 2-3 years ago and a couple I thought looked 5-6 years old 2-3 years ago. Based on how fast some actually have declined this year, I think I may have been a little conservative on their age estimates a few years back but it could be health issues or something I suppose. Any time their brisket looks like a big knob though, they're getting up there in years. We had a good winter and spring and early summer so I doubt any should be weather related stress unless it's a result of really severe heat and dry weather early on there about early June. We had corn actually scorched there in a two week stretch and it is always kind of a critical time for velvet antlers.
    That buck in the first pic nearest to the camera is Crossbow, he had drop tines last year and a good frame, I think he's 7 years old this year, could be 8 unless there's a health issue but he looked 5+ two years ago. I have a couple that I think at 8, several 6's. I think the 5-6 year olds are probably the best sport, after that they seem to start getting dull and wreckless. I don't knoiw that I can pick out a #1 in the old bucks, I'd be tickled pink with any of those. I'll post a few of them in some order?

Crossbow, based on his decline I'm guessing I aged him conservatively two years ago at 5 and he was actually 6. Last year had a knobby chest and declined so guessing 8 now (just a guess)
    [​IMG]
    Crossbow's running mate for three straight years, Big 8, Either same age as Crossbow or maybe a bit younger but he's regressed at the same rate so 7-8yo as a guess.
    [​IMG]

I'm guessing 6-7yo
    [​IMG]
    I'm guessing 6yo
    [​IMG]
    I'm guessing 5-6yo
    [​IMG]
    Guessing 6-8 since I don't recognize him but big body and huge knobby brisket makes me think 7
    [​IMG]

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Man Crossbow is just flat out a cool buck! You seen him live in season during daylight over past couple years?

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, a couple of times...once each season the last two years. Once at night along the road in the milo. He's the one I had video of last year. He looked like a monster last year in velvet but hard horned he wasn't nearly as impressive, still nice just not what I thought he was initially. I didn't actually recognize him this year for a while but his G2's are a give away and he's still running with the same 8 point as always.
    STC 0053 - YouTube

16. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    quityer*****in

those are still some great bucks and great pics.

i too have lost track of a few bucks that just have not showed up this year dispite making it through a VERY MILD winter

17. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a novel idea CM. Why don't you shoot a couple of them before they die of old age?

And if you just can't bring yourself to do that,

I'll be glad to "sacrifice" some of my time to come down there and HELP you out with your overpopulation problem!

18. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel terribly sorry for you.

19. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Thanks fp.

With all of my sacrificing of my time, it is hard to keep a job and earn a living!

20. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I kept hoping they'd just keep getting bigger every year.