Have you ever met a home schooled kid that wasn't weird?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Hooker, Mar 30, 2012.

1. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do home schooled kids have homework? I guess it's all hw. Ny friend Dustin was home schooled, he was definitely weird but still a pretty good guy.

2. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now we are beating up Private School kids too:rock:

I have notice kids with responsible parents turn out pretty well reguardless of where they go to school.

I have notice kids who have stupid parents better hope for recessive genes to come through for them, because they are screwed.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  3. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But he got a full edumacation from UNC. He visited the Liberian often. LOL This explains a lot to. LOL

4. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, some kids have better odds at being "normal" than others.

The parents I have met that chose to home school their kids did so because they felt the area schools weren't sufficient. The reasons varied, but at least one parent in every couple seemed to be what I would consider "extreme" and opinionated on a specific topic. The most common being be government, politics, and religion. Some were extreme in all three.

5. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed... I know a lot of almost normal home school kids with really weird parents. And I know a lot of narcissistic private school kids with narcissistic parents but all the no child left behind public school kids are perfect angels. LOL

6. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

My wife's sister kids are home schooled, I would put them in the Vito extreme list on religion. Those three kids are screwed.

My daughter goes to a Private Academy she earned her way into, my son goes to public school in our district.

Is there a huge difference between the two schools, hell yes:lol: Each kid is different in the way they learn.

Some do better at home, some in public, and some in Private.

7. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've met many as kids and adults that were home-schooled that were perfectly normal. Sadly, there are many who are socially awkward as well, and in many respects their parents sheltering them only put them at a disadvantage when it comes to life as an adult...

As far as no child left behind, even my 7 yr. old recognizes that some kids need special attention, yet our current system won't allow us to place them in "special classes," and as a result, the rest of the students are "cheated" because teachers spend an inordinate amount of their time working with one or two kids, and the rest of the kids don't get the time and attention they need.

8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes ... Vito did ... turns out Hooker fits the bill ... :D

9. davidmil

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, it can be a crap shoot. LOL My kid began his schooling in a private school in South Georgia. It really gave him a solid start. We moved when he was going into 4th grade to Maryland. He went to the local public schools, which were very good and strongly prefered over others near by. As he entered highschool he thought he wanted to go to this big private school in Baltimore that tooted it's horn over all the people it had gotten into Princeton etc. They said they had a one year waiting list but recommended he come take the test and play a day as student at the school. Well he blew the socks off their admissions test. He went for the day visit. Their rule was, everyone entered the school set back one year. You repeated the year last finished. He took all the test the teachers gave that day and came home depressed. He said MOM, they're doing things we did last year. They're behind us. They tried to get him to go there but he refused. He didn't apply for Princeton either. LOL He did get a full ride acedemic to Duke though. LOL All that and his father is a dummy. LOL

10. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My daughters new school is the opposite, she tested out of math and will be in Pre-Algebra as a 6th grader. She will also be learning Latin, Chinese, Spanish and French next year. When she hit's 8th grade she gets to choose one to learn. Plus it's a all Girls school.

My buddy sent all his sons to private school, but his last. Just was not a good fit. He is now the only one left still in college and just got into the eye doctor school at Ferris State.

11. davidmil

Dislikes Received:
    My son did the same thing in middle school with languages. He ended up doing a couple years of French and continued with Spanish through college. He also was in the Johns Hopkins Gifted and Talented kids taking course in the summer there while in Middle School.

12. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My son is at Lovelace Academic Magnet School (LAMP). It is one of the top 15 or 20 schools in the country. Hard to believe it is in Montgomery Alabama... as bad as the schools are around here. Our commissioner would like to do away with the Magnet program... she sees the program as unfair to the kids who lack the discipline to excel.

My wife and I both graduated from another public school in Montgomery that is now on the list of schools not meeting minimum academic requirements. Another High School here just fired the entire faculty and we are afraid those with tenure are going to end up replacing our good teachers at LAMP.

13. JerseyHunter95

JerseyHunter95 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hahahaha funny thread topic. i have met several homeschooled kids. they all ranged from a "little eccentric" to "absolute weirdo"

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  14. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I heard about a kid that was kicked out of home school for sleeping with the teacher :sheep:

15. b0nec0llect0r

b0nec0llect0r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With all the shootings and stabbings going on in schools today, I probably wouldn't blame someone for home schooling their kid.

My cousin was home schooled and he turned out just fine. He has three daughters, a beautiful wife (who was also home schooled herself) and he helps operate his dads business. The business is actually why he was home schooled to begin with. My uncles business requires them to travel the world and they're rarely home.

According to him, the cons to being home schooled was missing out on the things that schools offer. Today, he doesn't have many friends other than people he's met in his neighborhood, he missed out on participating in a lot of sports, etc.

I don't blame anyone for home schooling their kids though. With some of the stuff going on in schools today, it could even be a wise decision.

16. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am homeschooled. I went to private school till second grade. I do not care about the sports because one sport that (public schools) do not offer is hunting !!!!!!!!!!! And most sports are during October November and December.

17. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  18. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome.

19. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That actually made me lol, I am also confused about the parenthesis. Necessary? Does does work there or does do? Should you start a sentence with and? Sigh...apparently I too need to go back to home school...home-school...homeschool...whatever.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  20. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet man, thanks for correcting my grammar.