Hatchback & Small SUV Drivers Need Some Insight...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by tynimiller, Dec 1, 2015.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So the wife I think has finally convinced me to just drop my truck's insurance to the bare minimum and use it as the deer/haul/work vehicle that won't see much use save for weekends...and get a more day to day vehicle.

I'd still like to be able to throw the Scentmaster box and bow case in the thing though and make a trip to the woods in the thing...this is why I'm thinking Hatchback or Small SUV as I want the better gas mileage.

The question is does anyone on here utilize anything like this? And hunt out of it some times or part time?

I've started looking at everything from the Nissan Juke to the Jeep Compass to the Ford Focus w/hatch...this is a 2016 purchase most likely and I've always been one to over over think stuff and all options (hence why there are truck threads from me earlier this year).

Only things I'd prefer are 20+ MPG at minimum and AWD if possible (right price I'd go FWD).

Any and all thoughts......go!

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd stay away from the Jeep Compass. Ever person I know that has owned one has had problems. And I am not sure that is specific to the Compass. What about a KIA Sprotage? I think those are hard to beat if you are looking for economy.

At the same time I just bought a Silverado Crew with a standard bed. Go big or go home right? :)

3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Haha....I think unless my job picks up some more contracts that would cement a substantial increase in funding a truck just isn't practical for me as my daily.

We have a Kia Sorento (wife's) and she loves it, honestly if it wasn't the freaking flesh tone color it is I'd just say let's get you a new car and I'd take the Sorento...the Sportage for the money could be in the loop.

4. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My brother has a Compass and it's a piece..... Engine issues at 35k, transmission issues at 50k, 79k and 95k. The 4wd in it sucks and it drives like you are running over speed bumps( that's just going down the smooth highway) . I would just stay away from that vehicle at all costs. My sister in law has the Nissan Juke and she loves it. They do a lot of hiking and driving around on the mountain so it gets its fair share of "woods time" and she has never had an issue with it.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I have kept hearing such good things about the Juke...granted my wife I suspect will want to drive it a lot but whatever, thing from what I have heard has just enough room in the hatch area that especially with the back seats down I'd easily be able to make quick hunt runs after work if needed. AWD option as well is a plus.

*The Compass, I'll be honest I threw it in my post more to show the wide range I'm looking at right now. You and Heckler and so many others have said STAY AWAY so much now that unless the cost is like slashed in half I won't even consider them.

6. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Even if the price is cut in half you will spend that on replacing everything that breaks... He finally just got rid of his and the resale values on them is awful. He basically just gave it away to get rid of it.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Oh no worries...no dealer would ever say sure we'll take 50% off what we are asking :) If they do....I am running.....fast the other direction.

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife's 2012 Volvo XC70 has been "called into duty" on several extreme occasions. 24-26 MPG. All wheel drive.

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Shocked no Ford Focus Hatchback comments...figured bound to have someone here with one or spouse that does...

10. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well then, I had a 03 SVT focus that I used for hunting for years. Slept in it, packed deer in it, great little car.

P.S. The juke is the ugliest car ever created IMO

11. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What about one of the Subarus? I think they all come standard with all-wheel drive and MPG of 20+. I've never owned one but I know people that have and they are pretty decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    The Juke is....different no doubt. I'd have to sit and drive one before taking the plunge...the looks I'm sure would be both ends of the spectrum haha!

I love the Subarus...the issue is the cost. Unless I get one with high mileage or a 10+ year old one I will have to spend 3K-5K more. Worth it for the right price and actually while older than I'd like, there is a 2008 Outback I'm checking out this weekend.

13. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    CTS-V Wagon :evilgrin::rock:

14. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You live in Indiana buy something with the lowest mileage and lowest price that satisfies you. I have hunted in the Midwest all most my entire life and there is no need for 4 wheel drive or a huge truck.

15. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As much as I didn't want to loose my Tahoe AND drive a minivan I love our new Sienna- AWD and tons of room for family and just put a buck in the hitch basket.

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to admit that I don't know that I have ever seen a Nissan Juke. I took one look and...

[​IMG]

That thing is hideous!

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife has the Ford Focus Hatch. It's been a pretty good car other than 3 transmissions. It has some new hybrid transmission and apparently they have had nothing but trouble with them. All were under warranty, but still a PITA.

18. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    You have apparently never been down the gravel road to my house in the winter....

[​IMG]

19. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We were in the same situation so I bought a Geo Metro Hatchback that gets 40+. It's older but it was only $700 so I wasn't out much haha. Runs great, I have a few things to fix before it will pass inspection but I plan on adding some fishing pole racks and all kinds of stuff to make it hunt/fish/camp ready

20. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    It's not even the ugliest Nissan. Check out the Nissan Cube.