Has the internet created a "false passion" for bowhunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MrSimon, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do not watch hunting shows. I do frequent the forums, especially the "Live from the stand" thread religiously. I do this because I consider alot of the members of the forums my friends, and I live vicariously through them. I hunt public land in CT, and there is a very low deer population. I have been hunting since I was 14, I'm 41 now. Only the last 7 years have I taken it seriously.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    "Hi, I love hunting because Ive seen shows on the internet."

**Get out of here you fake passion kid loser.

[​IMG]

3. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

This made me laugh out loud... Ahh nicely done my friend!

Ruff likes this.
  4. Berwickbuckmaster

Berwickbuckmaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I watch Midwest Whitetails (also Chasing November - spinoff) and Bowhunt or Die. I only watch those two shows for the main reason of those guys are doing it for the exact same reasons I do it. Because they love it, and they respect it. I usually save the whole season for around July where I'm really getting the itch, and the shooting practice and trail cams just can't quite scratch it. Then I'll blow through them in a week or 2 and be pretty much breathing bowhunting until that first fall sit!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Napper and Hillbilly Jedi like this.
  5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like your comment however from what experience I have with the 5 or 6 videos I have on my YouTube channel, I don't think the majority of viewers care about the story. They want a quick down and dirty, BBD video and move onto the next one. I have 4 videos on my channel of my whitetail hunt in Canada from 2016. 2 are 10 minutes in length and the other 2 are 13 minutes. (give or take) My average watch time is 5:28 and with only 29% of the whole video watched.

I'm on board with wanting to hear and like a story about the time and dedication some people are putting in. I want to know the host has a little more interest in hunting for the animal and all that should go with hunting besides a pay check. Now I know I don't have a ton of videos out there but 10 - 13 minutes isn't a long video IMO but the numbers I just talked about to me show the vast majority of people don't really want the story. They just wanna see a BBD and that's it.

MGH_PA likes this.
  6. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bowhunting will never become a spectator sport me I really love it. No BS, truly I enjoy every part of it from day 1 of the season to day 1 of the off season.

7. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed on all accounts.

I only post on YouTube so I can share it on forums and watch it on TV.

Facebook is where I get all my feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    That is because hunting wasn't meant to be about "TEAM OVERKILL", "TEAM BLOODY ARROWS", or to be sensationalized. It is about a personal relationship between hunter, the outdoors, and the game they pursue. We have pushed too far into the boundaries of overkill when it comes to making hunting cool. It just ain't that cool for most people.

Hillbilly Jedi and Swamp Stalker like this.
  9. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    But if that’s what i want it to be, who are you to tell me it’s wrong?

It goes both ways.

10. CE Williams

CE Williams Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think that some people watch that dont hunt. That is not always bad, after I moved could not hunt because did not live here long enough. While still able to walk outside could not hunt.So I watched it. Also it might change some minds about hunting. If all shows showed the good and the bad like Bow Hunt or Die they would be better.I am talking showslike the one where they tracked a deer across multiple properties and dont find the deer, also when they fess up to poor shot placement only then do you get better and more enjoyment that you are not the only one making bad choices

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I didnt say it was wrong. Simply stating I think this whole hunting thing has been taken too far on social media, tv, podcasts, etc.

That was in reference to the post I was replying to when he said no one watched the entire video and only wanted bbd shots.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

12. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    No different than watching sports highlights or waiting to turn the game on till the 4th quarter.

Hell I like basketball and baseball but don’t really pay attention till the end of the season because in all honesty, who has time for 82 or 162 games? People wanna see what you did, maybe not the months leading up to it.

virginiashadow likes this.
  13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is some real crap out there on Youtube that portrays "hunters" in a bad light.

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
  15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is a pure bred idiot right there.

16. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:

This video means a lot to me, one of the great memories I have with my hunting buddies.

It worked or perfectly that morning.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Travisk711 likes this.
  17. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I understand where you're coming from and you and I seem to have the same perspective about hunting. We see it and enjoy if for the full experience of being in the woods, respecting the animals we chase and the pure enjoyment the entire experience. As Fred Bear said, "A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be". I don't think I'm mistaken when I say Fred's quote holds true to a lot of hunters.

The only point I want to try and make is just because other hunters have different reasons for hunting, doesn't necessarily make them wrong. You don't have to agree with or like their reasons, but they aren't wrong for having them. I choose to follow or watch hunting on the internet for stories I like, feel like I'm a little bit a part of and can relate to. Heck if everyone had the same opinion about trucks and baseball, Ford vs. Chevy and Red Sox vs. Yankees would have no meaning at all.

18. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Fred filmed his hunts too.

19. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That right there is FUNNY! lmao :lmao2:

20. Travisk711

Travisk711 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone, new member as of today, short time lurker as well. At 31 years old, I didnt really get into hunting until about 6 years ago, I grew up riding and racing dirtbikes since the age of 3 and honestly didnt have the patience to sit for long periods of time. I enjoyed small game hunting with my father growing up because it was active, didnt have to be super quiet and it appealed more to my young restless mind. As work become more time consuming and life grew more hectic as the years went on, I found that I enjoyed the woods and outdoors a lot more, it was a quiet getaway from the everyday grind.

The first year I "hunted" (Im not sure thats even accurate lol), I sat twice with a friend and a shotgun. Didnt see a darn thing but I was hooked. The next season I got a late start with trading some stuff on CL for a used bow, got comfortable with shooting it and spent a lot of time in the woods. I saw deer but never made a shot, but it was still rewarding. The next season I was invested with a new bow, quality gear and a little more knowledge and harvested my first doe. Since then Ive still had the troubles of staying focused in the tree, but as years have passed Ive gotten better at paying more attention to the woods and not my phone. The past fall I stumbled upon BHOD and was instantly hooked on the show. I binged watched every season when I had the chance, It motivated me to get into the woods, but with a lot more knowledge about deer movement, stand setup and property management. Its been good for me, along with a lot of whats talked about here on the forum. Ive found a lot of good information on the internet, but also a lot of bad information as well, but I feel that happens in the real world just as easily as it does online. I appreciate all of the knowledge and stories that you guys share on here, and Im hoping to absorb as much as possible to better my hunting experience and my chances of getting that first buck! Thanks guys!

Sota likes this.