Has anyone done this? (food plot question)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 2Pointer, Jan 17, 2010.

1. 2Pointer

2Pointer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering if anyone has done a food plot using only hand tools? I would really

like to put a few small ones in and im not really sure if its worth it. How big of a food plot

would be worth the work? Any and all info would be great.

2. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The answer to you question really depends on what you are planting, what is available to the deer near the area that you are planting, and what the goal of you planting is.

3. 2Pointer

2Pointer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, where i am hunting, the deer have a ways ( a long ways) before they get to any agriculture and since i dont have permission to hunt the

area with the agri... well, i thought i might bring something to the deer, see if i can get a few more deer in these areas and possibly keep them

there.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  4. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure it would work if you put enough time and effort in to it, but it will be a chore. I've never hunted in a spot where I was able to put out a Food plot.

I am sure they would be productive. I just hunt the crops in my hunting area, corn, beans, as well as Alfalfa and Clover hay fields.

Good luck with whatever you do!!

Dan

5. DEERSLAYER

DEERSLAYER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have put in numerous food plots with hand tools. What kind of tools do you have and how big of a plot were you thinking about putting in?

6. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have put out small plots here in Michigan, I pulled a rotitiller out on a sled and it brought in deer. The only problem I ran into was by the time it came to hunt there was nothing left the deer destroyed it. I even tried to put some twine soaked in diesel fuel becuase I heard that would keep them out of it until I was ready for them to use it and they just walked right through it and there was nothing but dirt left.. Walt

7. 2Pointer

2Pointer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They would be pretty small plots. ( i guess when i start ill see how much work its

going to take. Im sure this will let me know the size) As for the tools... not sure

what i would need. I would be willing to buy anything to make it any easier. Any one

have any food ideas?

8. hillrunner

hillrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A tractor. j/k

9. DEERSLAYER

DEERSLAYER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your planting openings where you will not have a problem with leaves then get a back pack sprayer and a cheap little hand spreader. That's all the equipment you will need to do a good job.

Other equipment like a disk, cultipacker, tow behind spreader and something to pull them with are nice too, but you can put in some awesome plots with out them.