Hard work and Sacrifice - Useless

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by chopayne, Jun 24, 2014.

1. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are some elite high schools in new york, you gain admission by taking a test, and solely admitted by your score on the test. Highest scores get in, lowest scores go elsewhere. According to NAACP, because the school does not provide an all around renaissance approach to admitting applicants, it is unfair (mainly the black people). The standard of test scores applies to all races, all races have the opportunity to start studying when theyre young, much like what many of the asians do. But they don't put in the same sacrifices or study as hard, and as a result, less of them get in.

Asians predominantly and unsurprisingly make up a large number next followed by Caucasians. (The chart they show is probably skewed to their advantage, notice the % doesn't add up because they worded the columns differently and also went from # to %). They are now proposing that the school admit less asians and bring in a few stragglers to get more diversity aka latinos/blacks.

Here is my problem, the standard is across the board, it's not unfair to one race or the other that they are admitted solely based on one test. I personally think an all around approach is probably better for the school, but the schools are not discriminating or making anything unfair or giving an advantage to any one race. By proposing they not admit as many asians, they are discriminating against asians to allow blacks/latinos to get in with subpar scores. This is racist and a product of entitlement. I wholeheartedly disagree with NAACP and hope the organization goes away.

Lastly, if the NAACP were to win and the school to enter an "all around approach" to admissions, you can bet the Asians will once again dominate as their families will ensure they enter sports (they already do piano/violin) and volunteer for community service. By forcing the schools to switch over to an "all around approach" they are setting the school up for a litany of lawsuits by making them go from a purely objective admission process (test scores) to an absolute subjective admission process.

Sorry, had to rant about this absolute bull****.

New York City Specialized High School Complaint | NAACP LDF

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    F'n Asians.... They are good at everything.

3. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gone are the days where people work hard to get what they want from life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

4. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    entitlement

5. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Proposals like that NAACP nonsense above make me angry.

My mother expected me to bring home straight A report cards. And I always did. She would act like I had just won the Nobel Prize. Of course anytime I did not meet her expectations, she would apply a belt to my tail. This happened only rarely.

I received a full tuition scholarship to college. Many of the kids in my classes could have done just as well had they simply done their homework and studied.

6. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's the OBAMA theory....you have it, I want it, you give it to me !!!

Why don't these people try working for want they want ? (shaking head)

7. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The test score is not a fair barometer of how a student will do? That's funny, the military has been using the ASVAB test as the only mental qualifier for jobs in the military for decades and seems to do pretty darn well with it. NYDOE says whoever scores best on the test are the ones who get in. Seems awful fair to me.

NAACP wants students with the most potential without regard to the test to be the ones admitted to the schools. Wiki defines potential as current unrealized ability. I use wiki because that is where the most liberal like to go to change a definition if it does not meet their needs. If it is unrealized, you don't know if you have potential or not until after you try and apply yourself in the field. Where do you get the biggest bang for your buck, the person who shows they can do the job effectively, or the person who might someday be able to do the job?

Whatever happened to earning your place? I'll tell you what happened, after some people got others to believe they were privileged, it went right out the window.

8. nchunter

nchunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if they would like to use the same criteria to balance out the number of caucasians and asians that are represented on Division One College Basketball and Football teams or High School Teams for that matter. I mean there have to be tons of Caucasians and Asians that have potential to play athletics at the next level. Why not tell the coach he can't have the best players and he has to tell certain black kids they can't be on the team to make room for a white kid. I am sure that would go over well. Teachers like Coaches want the best talent on their team, period.

9. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Georg bush went to Harvard so was there a test to get in or just a lot of money and family ties in the right places.

10. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe they could advertise on BETV.

11. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you know of a way for me to get what I want out of life without having to work hard please enlighten me :)

Very few people are in a position to get much out of life without earning it

12. John Galt

Dislikes Received:
    You have two be able to spell kat write to get into Harvard, its not just four the wealthy.

13. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of educational institutions have an "Alma Mater" clause that allows children of their alma mater to automatically qualify to enroll.

14. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The NAACP is not going to win. No reason to get upset.

15. John Galt

Dislikes Received:
    You could always try to marry well, but with your looks, that's not likely either. :)

16. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What a racist idea for that school to think current performance is a fair indicator of future performance. The audacity!

17. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know either one of you but that right there was funny.

I don't see this whole NYC thing going over well. The Supreme Court has slapped down affirmative action pretty thoroughly over the past few years. As long as the Court doesn't get flipped in the next 6 years it'll be alright.

18. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is actually a pretty good point.

Naacp may end up losing but the audacity they have to propose something like this has made them lose any feelings of respect or pity I held toward them.

19. John Galt

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I still pity them!

20. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I make up for it with my charming personality....I'd would guess your screwed on that front though? :)