Hanging Stands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by TheWardedMan, Oct 30, 2015.

1. TheWardedMan

TheWardedMan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I read an article on FB about a guy from my area who fell from a tree while trying to hang a stand. He is now partially paralyzed. These stories really freak me out, especially since I had just helped a friend put up a ladder stand last night.

Please share what things you do to ensure your safety while hanging stands. A ladder stand to me seems like it would be the hardest to do while being attached to the tree, given you have to literally be up in the air to secure it. A fixed position stand could be made safer by using a rope style tree strap and as you put in each step raise the strap so if you fall you're still attached. Any insight or technique you can share would be greatly appreciated, not only by me but fellow hunters as well. STAY SAFE!!

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Typically a ladder stand has a support that goes around the tree about halfway up the ladder that will be strapped around the tree. I will put that on first, then climb the ladder the attach the strap for the top. I agree, there's really no good way to be attached to the tree when putting up a ladder stand.

With the hang on stands, I use a lineman's belt that attaches to my harness as I climb and install the steps. Once I get to the top of the steps, I'll put up the tree strap and attach my lanyard to it. Then I pull up and hang the stand. Once the stand is secure, I will install a safety line above the stand, attach into it and climb down and secure the line at the base of the tree. From that point forward, I will always be attached to the tree and never at risk of falling, whether I'm climbing the sticks, climbing into the stand or hunting from the stand.

3. ruteger

ruteger Guest

Always wear your harness and use your lineman's belt when hanging stands. As soon as I get my pole ladder up (or climbing sticks), the next thing I attach is my LifeLine and once that's in place, I put in the actual stand. I could put in the stand before the LifeLine I'm sure, but I always feel better about doing it once I have the LifeLine in place.

Body harnesses in conjunction with LifeLines and lineman's belts have eliminated the vast majority of situations where you would get hurt from a treestand accident. You should never leave the ground without them on. It's just not worth it.

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely use the belt and safety to keep you on the tree. If you have 2 people it is much easier to stand the ladder up against the tree. If you do have 2 people you can wear a set of hooks, climb the tree, and pull the ladder up and attach it that way. It isn't the safest thing to attach a ladder stand with only one person.

5. TheWardedMan

TheWardedMan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Most stands come with climbing belts now don't they?

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not really. most come with a harness and a tree strap but they don't typically come with the lineman's rope.

7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ladder stands are the easiest for me. All you have to do is sure up everything else other than the top ratchet. Usually can do it myself but I've had friends that let go of the bottom on some steep areas and it was quite scary.

I think you always risk it when putting up a hang on. At some point you will detach your linemans belt to go over a branch or whatever. It's probably a good thing to have a little fear just so you stay focused on maintaining three points of contact.

8. fingerz42

fingerz42 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Linemen's belt helps a bunch. When I pull the stand up I use a hanger hook as an assist while raising and hanging the stand too.

9. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I cheat. As my name implies, I am an actual cableguy. Been climbing utility poles for 30 years, so I use my real lineman's tool belt, and pole strap. When all ladder-sticks and hang-ons are attached, I no longer need the real tool belt. Then I go to my safety harness. If you don't have access to a lineman's tool belt, PLEASE use your lineman's strap with your safety harness. It allows both hands to be used to secure your steps, and your stand!

10. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've yet to find a safe way to hang a ladder stand. If you are not tied in, you are not safe.

I stay tied in the entire time hanging hang on stands. Use multiple biners, two ropes (HSS tree rope and HSS lifeline) and linemans belt. I use hangons as permanent stands, so Im not moving them alot. Put up, take down every year.

11. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Justin does a good job explaining safe ways to hang a hang-on treestand in season 6 episode 17 in case you haven't seen it.
    http://www.bowhunting.com/video/episode-17-movers-shakers/

As far as ladder stands I walk underneath the ladderstand and lift it up as a high as I can to the tree. I than bring a separate ladder and angle it under the tree stand ladder and push up a couple feet than readjust the underneath ladder. Have a buddy secure your ladder your walking on so it doesn't slip. Than when the stand is up against the tree reposition your ladder so you can ratchet the straps while your buddy holds the ladder preventing it from moving. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015