Hanging stands in Sycamore trees?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fox hollow 2, Jan 27, 2016.

1. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, was doing some scouting the other day and found a place I would like to put a stand. The problem is, most of the trees I liked seemed to all be sycamores. Do any of you guys have experience with this? I have not hunted from a sycamore tree before, basically thinking its a bad idea because it seems like the stand wouldn't bite in well. Is it to dangerous and a bad idea to hunt from one of these trees?

2. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    what kind of stand? any hang on will work fine. climber depends on make? usually the sycamores I see are huge, too big for any stand. just use your best judgment. if we say go for it and you get hurt it's our fault. it's a decision you will have to make. if you have doubts don't do it.

3. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a ladder in a sycamore tree. No problem with it. As other poster has said maybe a climber would be different.

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have some smaller Sycamore trees that I've been considering to use. I haven't tried it yet.

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My LW sit and climb grabs real well (I flat filed the grabbers), so I'd hang it from any tree. I've even climbed icy/snowy trees with it as well. It's about knowing what your stand will safely allow.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hung one in a Sycamore tree on public ground this year. It was the biggest tree on a field edge(still only around 18" diameter at the base). I only hunted it a couple times but didn't have any issues. I was just using a cheap stand and it held fine. Had a little issue with my steps biting into the tree because there was only one strap per stick and it's pretty high on the stick(similar to the Hawk Helium sticks). The bottom of the stick moved out from under me a couple times. It was a little difficult to hang because of all the branches, they started very low on the tree.

7. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    seconded. I hung a new stand in a sycamore this year. the hang on stand held fine, but the sticks wobbled a bit from not having the most excellent grip on the smooth bark.

my best advice is to just be careful when putting up the setup. after it is secured, you should be fine.

8. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think a ladder stand would be fine and sometimes those trees branch out so much that they should provide some good concealment

9. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a cheap big game hang on up in a monster sycamore along our creek, had no issues getting the stand to bite well.

One item for some forethought, I don't have a great backdrop in this sycamore, and I've had quite a few does peg me in the tree. All of my other sets are in cedar or oak trees and provide great cover. I'd get up as high as you feel comfortable and try to find a tree with a good backdrop.

10. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They'll work fine! I've killed more than 1 deer from a sycamore tree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard of this guy who used em before, a wee little man was he, he would usually climb into a sycamore tree to see what he could see :)

12. fox hollow 2

Dislikes Received:
    I will be using a hang on stand.

13. fox hollow 2

Dislikes Received:
    Good to hear. I guess in the end that's all we can do. I always wear my harness and lineman belt when hanging stands. I also have life lines for all the stands too. I even put extra straps on the stands to secure them.