Hang-on stands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Don't Poke the Bear, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ever since that thread was started about which treestand preference everyone had, I've been considering buying a couple hang-ons. I have two ladders and a climber right now, I love my climber but would rather have the option of not having to carry it in with me every hunt. I feel I can be much more quiet without it strapped to my back. I do like my ladder stands, but I think i'd prefer to be in the trees a litter higher than my ladders can reach. In your opinion, which brands/models offer the best reliability in terms of durability, safety and your overall satisfaction? I'm also not looking to spend an arm and a leg.

2. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right now is a tough time to buy stands since most go on sale during the off season if budget is a huge factor. Gorilla and big game offer decent hang on stands at an affordable price, but honestly, you always get what you pay for. I went the cheap route on my hang ins at first and three years later outta my big games I'm getting some squeaks and creeks. Save the 200$ up and get yourself a muddy or a lone wolf. They're both high quality stand manufacturers and the difference between those and a big game or gorilla is night and day. A huge advantage to lone wolf is that they are made in the USA where muddy's are not. I am however a huge fan of my muddy stands. I also hear great things about the millennium line of stands and they are a little cheaper than muddy or lone wolf. Hope this helps!

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with jeff although I haven't had either heard a lot about muddy and lw. That being said I have nothing but big game hang ons, the boss xl, I like the bigger platform and I've not had any problems with mine. Haven't noticed any noise but I regularly maintenance them and change the washer out on the seat and cable part if they're looking bad but have only did that once in four years and theyre out from june/july till middle of jan. They also have three new hang ons coming out that look to be better and maybe close the gap between the higher priced stands. The biggest thing for me tho is the price, I can't se spending 200 or 300 on a stand and climbing sticks when I can buy two or three for same price. But like said haven't personally owned a muddy or lw jus know ppl and have always heard. But is all what you want to spend you'll probably get several different opinions.

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i have heard good things about lone wolf but they are pricey.

5. scooters

scooters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are going to be mobile LW or muddy are good options. If your going to just hang a stand and leave the lower cost are better options unless you have extra cash or a small amount of locations. I have 4 big game hang ons, 1 big dog, 2 mellinium brand new this year and 1 LW with sticks for my mobile. I also have 2 ladder stands. The most comfortable is the stadium big dog 2 person stand. The easiest and quietest to setup LW.

6. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice guys. This all helps a lot. I'm hoping for some mobility, knowing that my hunting properties show pretty significant changes in travel patterns from early season to the rut. I'll have to make a cabelas run within the next couple weeks and check them out.

7. bossbucks25

bossbucks25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't want to spend the money on a lonewolf, but i was sick of buying the cheap stands that are a pain to move when you need to. So i just spent the money, and now I use the lone wolf hang on and sticks nearly everytime i go into the woods. 5 minutes literally and you can have your stand hung and be hunting. 5 minutes after dark and you are walking to your car or to your harvest. best money i spent other than my bow

8. Chrischop04

Chrischop04 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out krooked oak tree stands you can hang them a lot more places than a normal hang on stand no more finding that perfect tree find the perfect spot.

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a few comfort zone stands with ladder sticks that are spread throughout my woods. The seats sucked so I got a few muddy seats for them. I bought the stands, buy one, get one free for $35 at ****s sporting goods. The ladders I buy on clearance also for $40 for 20 feet.

Now, for traveling hunts or mobility, I have my muddy with climbing sticks. It's an awesome setup and I can be up any tree in 10 minutes.

10. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used and own a number of different hang on stands....Lone Wolf is by far the best in my experience

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  11. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mike, with the properties we're hunting you're gonna want climbing sticks because we don't have the trails quite pinpointed yet, just general areas. Those are also pretty pricey. Cost is the reason why I use my climber more often. In order to maximize mobility you're either giving up your money or the convenience of walking into the woods with just a bow.

12. HUGENRANK

HUGENRANK Newb

Dislikes Received:
    lone wolf is the way to go