Hang On Stand and Sticks

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by greatwhitehunter3, Nov 23, 2016.

1. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It was at Scheels for $99 and don't remember seeing a sale price on it so might be their regular price, I'm not sure.

2. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lone Wolf=a few more $$ but worth it, made in USA and very quiet. I haven't moved mine around but they're easy to set up.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Would never justify the cash for LW's for simply hanging and leaving. Personally I'd rather outfit 3 or 4 trees than 1. Now I am thinking of traveling to Public on DIYs and I'm giving them serious consideration because that style of hunting I think they are the bee's knees.

4. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same boat as you are, I put cheaper stands in all my trees and have one LW in my truck for when my GF hunts with me so I can throw that LW in the tree with any of my other stands. Works great. If you can afford LWs, you will not be disappointed even for hanging a leaving.

5. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you had the opportunity to hunt out of a Millennium M25? I'm going back and forth between the 2. Feature set is similar on both, both have great reviews at similar prices. May have to get 1 of each and see how they are. Also looking at the M50. With the twisted and leaning trees in KS the adjustable platform would be nice for just 20-30 bucks more.

6. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    If you do, i'd be curious to hear your thoughts as those two are my top two choices if i don't go guide gear route.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I have not hunted out of one, but seen em, set in em and checked em out. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one personally. I know a few trusted guys that swear by them and it is mostly due to the seat; swearing it is the most comfortable hang on seat there is.

I want to try one out some year because I do like the seat design as less worries about rodent eating them away. I like the design of the framing and feel of the Hawks personally though.

Again though if I'm in a store or online and one is $10 cheaper...I'll probably save the $10. Same price I am going to go Hawk, more or less because no unknown, I know I like it personally.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    M25 or m50 are good choices for stands that are staying up for the season. Though honesty almost any stand works for once a year set. The only thing I don't like in the m25/50 is the seat comes out to the middle of the platform so your feet are at the end of the platform when sitting. Otherwise they are fine.

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Both models the seats fold up if standing right?

10. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I think they both do. We had a couple on the farm in Ohio don't remember if they were the 25 or 50. All in all they are fine for what they are.

11. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    On another note one of the sellers on AT is selling XOP vanish stands for 149 shipped. Decent deal on a good light weight stand. I picked on up and it's on the way. I don't even know know why I think needed it but I figure what the hell.....

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Given the specs and standing most have on opinions of XOP that sounds like a great deal. Let us know!

13. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My 2 cents is stay away from Guide Gear. I have had several (5-7) of them over the years and the first season they are fine. Second season when its cold they get creaky, 3rd season they are generally useless popping with every movement. Thats even with replacing bolts and nylon washers. I think the welds start to break down on the expanded metal. Not a whole lot you can do about that without rewelding it. Which if you have a welder and are good at it may not be an issue. I doubt the metal in those Guide Gear stands is very good either.

I am using Guide Gear sticks, this was the first season and they were great. I think they will be fine for seasons to come. Not a whole lot there to break down. No shifting or flexing parts like the expanded metal on the stands. We'll see though as I said this was my first season with them.

14. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Good to know. I've got some guide gear sticks coming but about 99% sure I'll get a different stand. Hawk being my number one choice so far.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

15. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Cabelas.

Hawk Mega Combat - $80
    Hawk Combat - $72
    Hawk Helium - $112

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't notice a big enough change in the Mega vs Reg Combat to justify the weight bump...however for $8 might make me think on it.

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had issue with noise in the smaller platform ones by Guide Gear. Replace 1 strap a year on them though. Shot a buck out of one last year that has seen 4 or 5 years up a tree now (not continually obviously though).

That said though I've decided to go slowly fully over to Hawk or maybe even Milleniums for my hang and stay spots, they undoubtedly are slightly better made at minimum. Sticks though those Guide gear ones are all I'll be getting anymore for hang and stay sits.

18. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    3x3" difference in platform size noticeable?

19. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone use a Summit Ledge? Love my Summit climber and assume their hang ons are good quality as well.

Cabela's has them for $40 off right now.

20. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Finally came today.

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk