Handheld GPS

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by jfergus7, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Elkoholics Anonymous

Elkoholics Anonymous Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yea the feature that show's others on your screen is only for those that have rhino's. The model doesn't matter but if you don't have anyone else that has one then it won't matter :). I just really found it handy this year because I hunt with my dad so it worked out great. Another thing you might do is calibrate your compass because when using the track up mode it will be very accurate and the screen will also move faster. Good luck in playing around with it!

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been online looking up tips and this thing is awsome. I have already calibrated the compass so I am all set with that. Even without knowing others that have a Rino I think it is still definetly worth it between the radio/weather radio and gps.

Thanks for the offer MO! Keep passing along any tips you guys have!

3. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I have been online looking up tips and this thing is awsome. I have already calibrated the compass so I am all set with that. Even without knowing others that have a Rino I think it is still definetly worth it between the radio/weather radio and gps.

Thanks for the offer MO! Keep passing along any tips you guys have!

4. Elkoholics Anonymous

Dislikes Received:
    Yea even without knowing anyone you're going to love the unit! Between the weather radio, moon phases, and topo screen that little gadget is amazing!! Not to mention the countless number of other features that it possesses.

5. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I need to get some maps for it. The base maps it comes pre loaded with are terrible. I downloaded some free maps for the snowmobile trails near my house but the maps aren't lined up right. When driving to my house it had me out in the middle of the lake.

6. Elkoholics Anonymous

Dislikes Received:
    I really recommend buying an SD chip for your area and it just plugs right into the GPS under the battery. The maps on that are really good and has everything named on them (streams, lakes, draws, canyons, streets, etc.).

7. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I am actually trying to find the chip that has the inland lakes since I am a big fisherman. The only problem is that you can only have 1 chip in at a time. I would like to get the Inland lakes and the disk for my area with all the streets, lakes etc....

8. Elkoholics Anonymous

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yea I see what you mean, if you're looking for multiple things then buying the chips can get to be a little pricey, and yea there's only room for 1 chip. I only had to get the western states chip for now because that's primarily where I hunt

9. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Well I need the midwest since that is where I live and need the roads but I do a lot of fishing so I want to get the lakes maps since they have the depths.

Do you know if you purchase the cd's can you load those maps on multiple gps'? I have two different Garmins that I want maps on both but don't want to purchase the same cd's twice.

10. Elkoholics Anonymous

Dislikes Received:
    Yea the lake depths would be nice to have, I've been looking at that chip too.

I'm not sure if you can load them on multiple GPS units. You should be able to because if you buy the rights to the mapping software, then you should be able to load them on any GPS you own. I would check out the website or talk to someone at a retailer and make sure though before you buy the CD ;).

11. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I asked at one of the retailers and they had absolutly no idea. I would have to agree with you but that doesn't mean it will work. I would like to find out though.

12. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I got an opportunity to really try out my new Garmin while out in the woods today. To be honest I am not sure if it is working correctly. While sitting in my stand the map showed me moving around all over the area. I then had the parking lot where I parked marked so on my trip back I used the navigate to function and while walking the arrow on the compass kept changing directions. Was extremely annoying to be honest.

13. Elkoholics Anonymous

Dislikes Received:
    I might have a few suggestions that would help. First off, with the moving around, it is only noticeable if you're zoomed in to 20 and 30ft. and this is because multiple satellites have a lock on you so it won't be 100% accurate to the nearest foot but it's usually within 5-10ft. On the navigation, make sure you have your GPS held level or it won't read the right direction, it's just like a compass. Secondly, if it's still acting up, try re-calibrating your compass again because I had to calibrate my compass several times while out elk hunting because it would kind of do the same thing to me when I had it on track up. As soon as I would calibrate, it would be 100% accurate would react much faster. It's so simple to do and it takes only a few seconds to calibrate it and it was definately worth it once I would see the results immediately. I hope this helped a little bit and you get to enjoy your GPS!

14. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't figured out how to use the trackback feature yet but it would have been nice to use this afternoon. I ended up having to crawl under some barbed wire to get back out to a field I needed to cross.

I will recalibrate it in the morning and see if that helps fix it. And you are right about being on 20ft when I was watching it move around on the screen. I will be sure to not zoom in as much in the future. Thanks again for all your help. Now if I could just find other people that have Rino's so I can try out the sync feature!!!

15. Elkoholics Anonymous

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I only zoom into really close range when I'm getting near a trail or target. I don't use the trackback feature much, I just use track up. You go to setup and map and instead of going North up, which throws me off most of the time, I put it on track up. This moves the screen around but at the top it always has the arrow showing which way is North. It's a lot easier finding your way out because to follow that track you came in on, you just move left or right according to the screen. You do have your tracks being logged right? And no problem for the help, I've had mine a year now and from coyote season and walking countless miles elk hunting this year I kind of found what works easiest for me.

16. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I just turned it back on and I do have the log turned on and it is already set on track up. I was using the compass to find my way back and that was just a pain because it was a straight line to my final destination. I will have to use the map tomorrow.

17. deer_predator

deer_predator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know where you can get a nice Etrex Vista for free.....It is only at 6.5 ft down in Lake Shelbyville :bash:

18. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I recalibrated the compass this morning and it seems to be working much better.

Is that the new waterproof Etrex version designed for divers? LOL

19. deer_predator

deer_predator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, at least the fish now know where they are....LOL

Every time you get a new GPS it is a good idea to do the little 2 revolution compass calibration....Otherwise you sort of kicking a horse....

20. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Well I had calibrated it already when I originally got it a few weeks back but I guess it needed it again. Worked much better this afternoon and it is much easier to follow the trail out when you zoom out a little bit more!