Handheld GPS

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by jfergus7, Sep 8, 2008.

1. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am curious how many of you have a handheld GPS? I have a cheap one that I got a few years ago and it really isn't good for much. I like having the maps to see right where I am and where I am heading.

I get a nice discount on Garmin so I just ordered the Rino 530Hcx. Have any of you used or seen this one before? It looks like the top of the line for Rino's which have the built in 2 way radio's.

2. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Garmin E Trex and I have been using it for 3 years now and dont really need anything else. I download my waypoints on
    expertgps.com.

3. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Garmin 60Csx.The thing is awesome color,expandable memory etc. even gets 5 sattelites inside of structures.Im sure the Rhino will have the same performance and the 2 way feature is nice.I would check to see if it works with other 2 way radios not just with other Rhinos.

4. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    It says that it will work with all standard 2way radios. I really like that feature cause I use those things all the time for ice fishing tournemants. I should have it tomorrow. Cant wait to check it out!

5. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Got my gps today. This thing has a manual like a new computer. It is going to take me the entire season to figure this thing out!

6. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Keep us posted and does that GPS have satalite images?

7. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    That would be a cool feature. This thing is pretty awsome though. I am really going to like the radio and weather radio feature. I need to get the lakes map for the upcoming ice fishing season. That would be a great help to me.

8. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to do some online research for this model.

9. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Well T, if you decide you want to get one new let me know before you do anything. I was able to order through my work and saved about $150 over the store price.

Spent the better part of the night up playing with it. Seems awsome. Really like the radio feature and the color screen is awsome! I will show it to you next time I see you!

10. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds great Ferg. Whats is the price for it?

11. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    The big chain stores have it for $499. I got it for $351 brand new.

12. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I actually need one of those GPS that you can use in the car.
    My wife wants one and I told her I would get her one.

13. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I have another small handheld Garmin that I am willing to part with if you want to see it. It is a Garmin eTrex that is about 2 years old and hardly every used.

14. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, hate to retract my previous post but I just came up with a great idea for that other Garmin. I am going to perminently mount that to my ice fishing shanty! Perfect for when I am pulling it around out on the lake.

15. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I put my etrex to great use.
    Ferg check out www.expertgps.com.

16. Joey Rott

Joey Rott Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Rino 530Hcx is a great unit. If there was any disadvantage to it, it'd be the size & weight. But otherwise, it has a lot of awesome things you can do with it.

17. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have been playing with it for 2 days now and I don't think that I have even touch the possibilities of this unit. Any pointers you can share would be appreciated!!! I don't really mind the size since I really like having the 2 way radio. The size beats carrying a 2 way radio & a gps!

18. MOmighty

MOmighty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jfergus, I just got a job at Bass Pro in the Marine accessories dept, which is where the GPS units are. If you have any questions let me know and I may be able to help you out. Like I said I am new and just getting the hang of some of the fancy units, but if I don't know the answer I can get it from one of the more experienced guys. Good Luck with it!

19. Elkoholics Anonymous

Elkoholics Anonymous Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Jfergus, I bought the 530HCX after last hunting season and it's possibly the best piece of hunting equipment I have ever purchased. I hunt elk in some nasty areas, and a lot of you know that means a significant amount of up and down walking. With the Rhino, I saved myself miles of pointless walking this year after dark looking for the right trail to get out on. One of my favorite features is the tracks feature. I don't know if you've experimented with it yet but I was able to find some nice trails in, then save my track from a beginning to an end point and show it on the screen whenever I need to get on that perfect trail again. Also, the mapping SD chip that you can buy and put in it is a must! Another one of my favorite features is being able to find other hunters on you're map if they key their mic. I hunt with my dad and we head to different areas often but we were able to find each other without any problem this year and we always knew where one another was. I put mine on the track up mode also, which lets the screen rotate in the direction you're going so it's very easy to find a certain trail or waypoint you're looking for. That's under setup and map. Good luck playing with it and i know you'll be very happy with your buy!

20. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't figured those things out but I will have to find the manual and look them up. I have just been playing around with it at the house. The feature that lets you find others is only good for those that have other Rino's right? I am the only one I know of that has one so I don't think that will work. Glad to hear I will be able to get much more out of it though once I figure it out!