Handgun Questions

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by LAEqualizer, Jan 9, 2011.

1. LAEqualizer

LAEqualizer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, here is my idea. I need another handgun.

I currently only own a Ruger Single-Six .22 Magnum/.22 LR Revolver. I love the gun for just messin around target shootin and killin snakes.

Situation: I want something with a little more "umph" to carry into the woods. (Not looking to hunt with at all) I have my reasons which I will not disclose here. Anyway, I am kinda hung on the revolver, but if someone can sway me to an Semi, or full Auto, I'm all ears.

I want this gun to be comfortable to carry throughout bow season.

Ideas???

2. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    come on Bobby, snakes are our friends :D I used to kill them but enjoy handling them now, (the non poisoness ones) even got my kids where there not afraid of them!

3. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I was looking for protection IN THE WOODS....I'd get a double-stack 9MM.

4. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an XD in 9mm but carry my LCP everywhere i go because of the convenient size. if you do need a firearm to defend yourself, you"re probably not going to have much time to retrieve it. My XD is bulky and i usually carried it in my backpack, which isnt the best place for it.

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You scared of those Bayou boys? :D

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would look into the Springfield xd or xdm, a ruger lc9 or a S&W M&P series. Lot's of options with these pistols, service size, compact or sub compact with the Wessons.

I would look into a .40 or .9. The Ruger LC9 (brand new will be out first of the month)will probably be the best price. You get a lot for your dollar with Ruger products, generally.

7. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  8. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing wrong with a .22mag at all. Sure, doesn't have the stopping power of a .45. But, it'll bring things down.

9. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only reason I wouldn't recommend that is the 5 shots and then the need to reload. I don't know his situation and that may be plenty but if you need firepower I would prefer something that had more shots and was easier to reload if I needed to reload quickly, a semi-auto with extra mags.. I don't anticipate ever needing to reload quickly so I do carry mine but it also is loaded with 4 shot and no man stoppers when out in the field.

10. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    357 sig by Glock

11. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A good 357 revolver is hard to beat. Are you carrying concealed or open? Either way a good holster makes a huge difference in comfort. Depending on you build, and whether you need/want to conceal it, either a 4" barrel or a snubby will work.

12. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I carried my Taurus .38 for a season, it was nice from a carry standpoint, but felt slightly under gunned. (Although I doubt anyone would say it didn't sting) I picked up a .40 not to long ago, a Beretta PX4 Sub-compact, so far I really like it for a carry piece.

13. LAEqualizer

LAEqualizer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Only poisonous ones Blood. I have more Copperheads, Cottonmouths, Timber Rattlers, and Ground Rattler/Pygmy Rattlers than most have to deal with in early bow season. I will never shoot one unless I can find no other way to conveniently dispatch him. I never fire a gun in my bowhunting spots unless it is an emergency.

Some are scarey just to look at PT.:D

Ryan, that is the caliber I have been leaning towards. I want it to be accurate out to at least 25yds. I am thinking a 4" barrell is not gonna cut it. I have very little experience with anything under 6" barrell. What length barrell do I need to achieve this type accuracy from a .357??

I want something I can carry open. What type holster is the most comfortable for open carry of a revolver of that type?

14. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i like my XD .40
    [​IMG]

15. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a leather holster for my Judge and then a nice wide leather belt (tractor supply) and wear my gun on my hip. Very comfy. I do have a shoulder holster for my 40 semi but have not worn that in the field yet, no real reason.

16. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A 4” barrel will give you all the accuracy you need. Barrel length itself doesn’t limit the accuracy of the gun, but generally people have an easier time sighting/shooting a gun with a longer barrel due to the sight radius. Depending on your general proficiency at handgun shooting, it doesn’t take much extra practice to get used to shooting a 4” barrel than it does a 6” or a 7.5”. Even a snubby, can shoot decent enough at 25 yds with some practice. Assuming you have ammo that shoots good from your gun. It may take shooting a few different brands to figure that out.
    I’ll check the model of holster I have, when I get home today, its one of the major brands, nice leather & is model specific (roughly). With a good belt it is secure and comfortable.

17. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got around to checking my holster
    Its a Bianchi black widow.
    Pretty comfortable for carrying while hunting or hiking.