Halon X Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by davidingle, Apr 26, 2017.

1. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I figured I would start a tuning thread on my Halon X bow that I am setting up for 3D and maybe a little indoor. I see these on AT but not so much on here. This is my first time tuning a Mathews cam system for myself. I have had several Hoyts and have gotten pretty good at it. And seems a lot of people here shoot Mathews so maybe someone can help or pick up something.

2. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    I'll start with my setup:
    Halon X Pro gloss white. I have 60# limbs pulling about 58 at the moment. I swapped my 85 mods for my 75 mods at 28". The draw is currently running a hair over at 28 1/8". I swapped my Limbdriver Pro V for an AAE freakshow extended blade rest and running it extended back aways. Haven't measured blade angle but I'm using the standard width and .010 thickness. Currently using my hogg father for my sight. 10" bee stinger currently on it for bowhunter class indoor but have a 30 inch and 12 rear bar on the way for open class. I have a Silverback and a Nock 2 It that I use interchangeably for releases.

3. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    First thing I did was take the zebra strings off and put on 60x Custom strings. Went with all flo yellow bcy x material. Check ata and bh to see if they were in spec. ATA is 35 1/8 and bh is right at 7 both in spec. Put in draw board to check draw length, timing, lean, etc. Draw length measuring over at 28 1/8 (I like might around that) and bottom cam hitting a hair before top and lean didn't look bad.

Twisted bottom cam control cable to advance the top cam to bring into synchronization.

Leaving draw length, ATA, bh, and lean where it is for now that I feel is all neutral and could be adjusted in the future

4. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    My rest is the aae freakshow extended mount, I like to set these up as far back as possible without making contact with anything on the bow (riser on hoyts, cable guards on mathews, etc.). The blade I'm using is the pro blade standard .010 thickness and then standard width. My 23 series superdrive are in a sweet spot with the standard width and thickness at the weight of the arrow. If your arrow is 500 + you will probably get a better tune with the thicker .012 blade and if you're under 400, you probably want the .08 blade. Width depends on your wall diameter.

I set Mathews up with the center shot at 3/4" . A small adjustment to the left was made to get my bullet through paper. These Mathews usually like the arrow sitting perfectly at 90 degrees off the string. I will post paper pics soon.

5. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    Setting up an arrow for 3d: First you want to determine which type of arrow you want to go with. Are you wanting to get as close to a hunting situation as possible? Use the same arrow you hunt with. Are you shooting unknown yardage? Light arrow. Want to get as little wind drift as possible? Micro diameter small vanes, etc.... I like a midweight 23 series arrow, Easton just came out with the Superdrive 23 arrow so I ordered a doz of them to try out. Using on target 2, you can spine match perfectly. I decided to go with a higher FOC, light shaft and heavy point. Easton makes adjustable weight points that go up to 200 gr. Using the software my bow spine matches perfectly at 26.75" carbon to carbon with 375 spine and 200 gr point weight given my nock, busing, and vane configurations.