Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Gunnison area In Colorado

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Schultzy, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Years ago (probably 20 years) my dad elk hunted north of Gunnison 20 miles or so. He hunted this area for 15 years. The elk, mule deer and bear hunting was phenomenal! The last couple years he was there he had enough of It as a guide moved In there and shot a bunch of huge bulls. Video's were made and people flocked to this area. I talked with my dad yesterday and told him we've got to get you on an elk hunt again as he hasn't hunted elk for 15 years or so. I mentioned to him about his old area and asked If he was Interested In going back there as he knows the area very well.

So my question Is, for anyone that's hunted here how Is the hunting pressure there? Is there 4 wheelers allowed everywhere? The last area I hunted In Colorado 4 wheelers were allowed pretty much everywhere. I want nothing to do with an area where 4 wheelers can go as they please. I also see that It's not over the counter In this area. What's the percentage of getting drawed the 1st try? By the looks of It It's unit 54 or 55.

Thanks.

2. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never hunted there Steve, but did play college football there.... Sweet stadium, highest in elevation in the USA..

3. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Steve check with 130woodsman (Dan) as he hunts Colorado often.