Gun cleaning

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by ATbuckhunter, Dec 10, 2013.

1. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How do you guys clean your rifles and shotguns? I am not very good at cleaning my rifle and shotgun so I want to know how you guys do it. As of right now I clean my guns with my dad the old military way. We use some braided twine and put some cotton strips (cut pieces of new underwear) between the braids. We then put some hoppes #9 and make about 5-10 passes up and down the barrel. We then put a new cotton strip and hoppes then repeat the process. Then we put a new piece on and put gun lubricant and do the same number of passes. If you were to look down the barrel you would think its squeaky clean, but I always got a little residue on the cotton strip with the lubricant. Right now i am reading that i should be letting the solvent sit for a little then go back with dry patches until they come out clean. I am shooting 100% copper bullets if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help.
    I should mention that my father was not in the US Military but in the military of another country.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: