Grunting or rattling in MN

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Smitty3, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Smitty3

Smitty3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Grunting or Rattling?

I've been bow hunting for deer for a while now and have never ha much luck with grunt calls until this year. This past weekend we took a little trip up north in search of big white tails. After scouting I found a few bigger ground scrapes so I set up stand 15 yards behind it. I knew the scrapes were fresh and couldn't wait to get out the next morning. Saturday morning came and i was in my stand by 7 the night before I kicked some dirt into the scrape to see if it would be hit. To my surprise the buck peed into it so I knew he was still active on the area. I waited till about 7:30 and let out 2 grunt noises and like clock work I heard crunching to my left I turned to see a decent 8 point buck coming from behind me. I watched him as he approached but then like a skid steer coming through the woods I heard loud crunching from my right. I turned to see a much larger 8 point making his way to the scrape he had and my heart started to pound like a jack hammer he was only 7 yards away but he remained behind a lot of brush I knew if he would only take another 10 yards walk he would be mine for the taking. As I watched him he knew something about his scrape was out of the ordinary and he stopped. At that time I heard another grunt from in the distance and he stopped on a dime and turned his body away
    He stompped the ground and grunted back before I had a chance to even draw back he galloped away from the grunt an left me wondering if I would have grunted or rattled differently would he have stayed around. The moral of the story is which is better grunting or rattling. It made my trip a success just to see such a massive buck so close in such a great environment.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If they suspect something is up, its tough to draw them back to you no matter what, but I would tend to lean towards the grunt. Last year I tried using the snort wheeze for the first time and I brought in more bucks in one year then I ever did with a grunt tube. Check one out.

3. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    how do you use the snort wheeze? cause i have one on my grunt tube but i thought it was just if you see them far away and they dont react to a grunt then try a snort wheeze. or do you call blindly too like you would rattling?

4. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like to rattle and grunt together. it's like if you were in a fight you would make some noises too. The snort weez is also a very effective tool. I've used it plenty of times and have brought in some smaller bucks, not what i was looking for, but non the least it brought in deer.

5. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To use the snort wheeze all you do is blow into it two short breaths then one long one. phh phh phhhhhhhhhhhh. like that not sure how you would type it haha.

6. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    no i know how to use it i just dont really know when.. what i heard is it is a territorial noise as if two bucks were gonna square off. do you use it before or after a grunting and rattling sequence or just by itself.. or maybe only when you need a buck to come your way?

7. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually use it after a grunting sequence.

8. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I usually only use a snort wheeze when grunting isn't bringing him in. I guess I feel him out first with grunts, and if I don't believe he's going to come, than I will try a snort wheeze. It worked for me last year! Good luck!