grouping problems

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by ArcheryAddict21, Aug 3, 2013.

1. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys I need some guidance. I got a recurve for christmas last year and is my first experience bow hunting the traditional way. I have been shooting everyday i can after work for an hour or sometimes longer in preparation for the upcoming season. Though i have made a lot of progress from when i first started, i cant seem to keep a tight group. Does anyone have any tips for keeping a tight group? I shoot a compound very well but i just cant seem to get it down with my recurve. Also, ive been going off of the "instinctive" shooting method which from what i understand you look at your target and your brain calculates the aim for you without you actually aiming. Is it more accurate to aim with the tip of the arrow? or any other way? I shoot with an open front hand and have two anchor points and though ill be lethal for the upcoming season id like to see more consistency to build my confidence. Any feedback will help thanks guys.

Im shooting a Fred Bear Kodiak Magnum 60# 28in draw with easton axis traditional 400s and 125 grain field points.

2. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Try to really pull through the shot. Remember a re-curve is much slower than a compound.

3. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to shoot instinctively you have to disregard the arrow and the bow and focus on the spot to be hit, your brain will quickly adjust. Your sight picture will adjust accordingly as well. I agree with DC you really should try and pull all they way through the shot. Without proper back tension your shots will move left and right. Really work on pulling the string with your back and not with your arm. I would also strongly recommend that you shoot less. Every day is good but not as much as your are. Try shooting everyday but only 6 or so arrows and make each one count. When you shoot for extended periods of time and dozens of shots you tend to over think and become fatigued resulting in poor form.

4. ArcheryAddict21

Dislikes Received:
    ok thanks guys. When you say pull through the shot do you mean just pull back, reach my anchor point, then release as soon as i hit it? I watched some videos on the rick welch shooting school on youtube and it said to try to hold it for 3 seconds. I dont hold it that long but i do steady out before i release.

5. victoryhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Basically yes but to follow through the shot as well. I don't hold it at all because I tend to float. Once I reach my anchor the arrow is gone. It's referred to as "snap shooting". The most important thing for your accuracy is to make sure you are pulling the string with your back muscles and not your arm. Imagine trying to squeeze a tennis ball in between your shoulder blades. That's where you need to pull from. Where are your anchor points? Also are you shooting split or three under? Last thing #60 is a lot of weight especially for a beginning archer and that can greatly effect your accuracy. I have friends who have had problems with all of these things causing accuracy problems.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  6. ArcheryAddict21

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man i went to shoot with some guys that have been doing it for quite a while now and they really helped critique my form and they said the same thing. I now started to pull with my back and it keeps my shoulders lined up correctly and really helped out. my anchor points are my middle finger in the corner of my mouth and my thumb knuckle behind my jaw bone.

7. victoryhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great I'm glad they helped you out!