Ground blind setup

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Longdraw, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Purchased my first blind that I can fit my 6’8” self into and comfortably shoot my bow.
    Heading to central IL Wed to hunt Thur&Fri on private land.
    I’m hoping to get there late afternoon and set up my blind for the next morning or two.
    Question:
    Do I set up in heavy cover with a couple shooting lanes OR next to a huge tree with minimal coverage so I can shoot 360?
    Thanks Y’all.
    Safe hunts.
    Longdraw ###———>

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't often use a blind for turkey hunting, I prefer to be more mobile, but I haven't had them seem to mind if the blind isn't backed up into heavy cover. The few times I've committed to using a blind I've set it up in fairly open timber and had no issues with them coming right in to the decoy.
    I do like to make the inside of the blind as dark as possible though, they pick up movement so well that getting drawn can be tough, so I'd still only have the "front" window open. No matter which direction they come from they should head to your decoy(s), so I'd set up accordingly.
    If you would prefer to have more view out of your blind and have most of the windows open, then I'd only draw on a Tom when he is fanned and the tail feathers are blocking his whole head. That's the only time I can get away with drawing when not using a blind on them.

Longdraw and oldnotdead like this.
  3. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Mod.
    My first setup was in the open. Had a hen roosting within 50 yards but she flew down away from me.
    Called in two jakes about an hour later and hit one in the neck. Great blood trail but never found it after two of us crawling in the creek bed for hours. So disappointed we couldn’t find it.
    Found a few groups of morels though.
    2nd day had a few Toms talking nearby but never came into me. Went mobile but never heard anything else.
    Beautiful couple days and had some great new Irish whiskey in camp.
    One more permit for 5th season to get it done.
    Good luck to the others out there.

Longdraw.