Ground Blind - Open Windows or Shoot Through ?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BowhuntOnly, Sep 20, 2015.

1. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Many Ground Blinds have the option of open windows or shoot through netting. What does everyone prefer?

I have done both. I like the netting and shoot through option because I think it gives you maximum camo and allows you to get away with some movement when getting ready to shoot. Fixed Blade broadheads are a must with the shoot through netting. One drawback I have seen is when the sun is rising or setting, the reflective glare can cause some issues seeing out...

What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer the netting even though I leave little gaps hoping to be able to shot through the openings. Sorta like in a treestand where I don't cut every limb off, just the few to have shots. I shoot expandable so through the netting for me is out.

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've wondered this same thing myself. I would like to open the big window for maximum visibility but I'm also unsure about how well a deer can see into the shadow. I usually choose to err on the side of caution and use the shoot through.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always cut the netting out. You can't take pictures through it, it's noisy if you do decide to open a different window because they always seem to use velcro on the netting, plus I just don't like shooting through it. I prefer a clear view.

5. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the blackout blinds... netting is button, so easy and quiet to open if ya want to.. lets me open the big windows for view and shot opportunities... black jacket, black hat, black face paint... with the black background inside the blind, no way a deer can see ya unless ya stupid and jumping up and down screaming "there's a deer, there's a deer" only thing I don't like is the zippers are loud if ya need to step out and piss or something...

6. Thunderbolt52

Thunderbolt52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I l i ke shooting threw a clear window....the velcro net gets pulled down....also i cant leave my big windows open...the deer around my farm look right in and spook even wearing black...so i shoot out of the corners...and we re not aloud by law to brush it up....grr

7. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    open..why chance anything that could possibly throw the shot off.

8. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot through it once, shot ended up high. Won't do it again.

9. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot mechanicals so I've never shot through mesh...that being said, my wife shoots fixed blade magnus stingers and she still opts to shoot through a clear window. why risk shooting through something that could throw your shot off?