Grim Reaper Broadhead Question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kern06, Aug 24, 2014.

1. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Planning on using Grim Reaper broadheads this fall and I have a question. I have been using one broadhead for practice while I have my others on stand by for hunting only. I have noticed as I have repeatedly shot my 'practice head' (which is just a regular head not the actual practice head that comes with the set) into my broadhead target the blades have become noticeably easier to open than the blades on my strictly hunting heads. I was wondering if I should break in my hunting heads so to speak by repeatedly opening and closing them or something like that? Or is it ok that they are some what tougher to open up? I'm not afraid of them not opening I just figured the easier they open the better??? But maybe not??? That's why I'm asking I guess haha. Any input would be appreciated.

2. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No dice??? I mean I know everybody shoots a NAP or a Rage but... :).

3. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i thought grim reaper had a fixed (non-opening) practice tip?

4. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everytime you shoot one and the blades open, you put a little nick in the collar below the blades. If you look at a new broadhead next to a shot one, you will see how the collar has 3 groves worn into it where the blades hit. When you replace the blades, they will come with a new collar. So..... Don't worry they will open just fine. The design is such that it is impossible for them not to open. I used them for years.

5. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It does come with a practice head like you mention but for some reason I couldn't get it to fly true but the regular broadhead did.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to compare the two when I get a chance. I had faith that they would open up just needed a little reassurance. I'm finding I am a perfectionist when it comes to my bow and equipment. I'm always second guessing. Might not be a good thing haha...but thanks again.

6. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just set em down and use swhackers..

7. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was waiting for the first comment like this :D

8. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    seriously man! look into it.. swhackers are just devastating! i shot many deer with them and theyve all died within a reasonable distance. the farthest one got from me was 75 yards..i clipped a branch right in front of him and got 3 inches of penetration..when i opened him up, it was like a 5 gallon bucket of blood fell out of his chest. with a swhacker, they are so simple..nothing can go wrong. all it is is two pivoting blades held on with a shrink band, which can be tightened with a flame from a lighter. goodluck this year

9. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had never heard of them until seeing this thread. The video looks impressive of the double shoulder penetration. I'd say from seeing the video if you shoot a buck and those blades don't deploy, something is seriously wrong. I don't think any mechanical BH should have to be broken in.

10. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right now I am planning on using Grim Reapers until they let me down. I will definitely consider Swhackers now though if I ever lose confidence in my reapers.