Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Grilled Loin Recipe?

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by 2xlung5h0t, Mar 24, 2012.

1. 2xlung5h0t

2xlung5h0t Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm having a bon fire tonight and I was thinking about grilling up some backstraps. How do you guys cook yours? Any special recipes out there? I know you guys like to eat!

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    With backstrap I always keep it simple:

Butter, black pepper and if I'm feeling a bit crazy... garlic :tu:

It certainly isn't special (as far as recipes go), but man I love it!

3. 2xlung5h0t

2xlung5h0t Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    easy is definitely what I'm looking for. THANKS FITZ. you just throw it on there and turn every so often?

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One of the best things you can have for wild game cooking is a little digital meat thermometer. It takes the guessing work out of it. These are the temps I go for:

Rare 135°
    Medium-rare 140-150°
    Medium 160°
    Well done 165° and up

The best over the fire would be if you have a cast iron pan. Toss in a couple TBSPs of butter, season the meat and throw it in. I turn it every 2-3 min. I love my veni medium rare so I shoot for 145°.

Now my mouth is watering!

5. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I cut my pieces 2 inches thick like i would a filet mignon of beef. season both sdes lightly with a salt, pepper, and garlic powder mixture i make. then i wrap the center with a piece of thick cut bacon and secure with a tooth pick. I cook these on my charcoal grill with mesquite wood I have driven up from texas. I prefer my meat on the rarer side of medium rare. I get a good hot coal bed going, and seer the top and bottom for 1 minute each, this puts a nice crust on the meat as the garlic powder and black pepper char. then I shut the grill down for an additional 3 minutes on each side, this gives the meat time to soak up that delicious mesquite smoke and lets the bacon grease work into the venison. at the end of this the venison should rare/medium rare. delicious!

6. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is fairly simply also. Roll the straps/loin (whatever size you cut) in olive oil and place on a pan/plate. Sprinkly seasoning (I prefer Bone Collector Mack Daddy) on the side that is facing up. Place the seasoned side directly on the grill (I prefer charcoal, but to each his own) and then sprinkle seasoning on the unseasoned side that is now facing up in the grill. Cook to how you like it done. I agree with Fitz that a thermometer is the way to go!

If you want to get a little more fancy you can marinate the straps/loin in just about anything you like prior to cooking. My wife like a Worcheshire sauce mix while I prefer no marinate. Good luck for next time 'cause you've probably already eaten every last bite of that loin!!!

7. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is fairly simply also. Roll the straps/loin (whatever size you cut) in olive oil and place on a pan/plate. Sprinkly seasoning (I prefer Bone Collector Mack Daddy) on the side that is facing up. Place the seasoned side directly on the grill (I prefer charcoal, but to each his own) and then sprinkle seasoning on the unseasoned side that is now facing up in the grill. Cook to how you like it done. I agree with Fitz that a thermometer is the way to go!

If you want to get a little more fancy you can marinate the straps/loin in just about anything you like prior to cooking. My wife like a Worcheshire sauce mix while I prefer no marinate. Good luck for next time 'cause you've probably already eaten every last bite of that loin about 2 weeks ago!!!

8. OctaneRudi

OctaneRudi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i put them in a glass bowl and poor over them, olive oil, soy sauce, worsershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, a little tobasco, and sometimes season salt. let it marinate for 4 hours in the fridge then grill em up

9. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    montreal steak seasoning, dry rub them with that and through em right on the grill