Greene county NY bear hunting

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by jflats123, Aug 4, 2015.

1. jflats123

jflats123 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone know of any large public land in Greene county near east durham/windham .I have a house in east durham but dont think there is any bear on it regulary so im gunna try to get after them on public land this year .

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Around 60-90 Bears are killed in GC every year. The mountain top areas offer the most consistent action however they can and are killed thought out the county...mostly during the regular season.
    The public land your talking about is fairly big woods, has decent numbers of bears however nailing down stand locations is a crap shot at best. Looks for finger ridges that have good beech crops. Saddles and terrain features while they are reliable indicators for deer travel patterns tend to fall short as indicators for bear movement. Bears tend to just go where ever the hell they feel like it at the time. The only semi redundancy you see with their habits in the fall is centered around food sources, hard and soft mast and the few available corn fields near by. Lastly you going to have to really think big in terms of home range size it sometimes take several day before a boar will complete his swing and be back in the area he left sign. The first two weeks of the archery season are probably the best time to get yourself on what maybe a pattern...after that if there is abundant mast it all becomes mostly chance encounters.
    Good luck.

3. Billy Pulsifer

Billy Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I go every year I see bear often. I hunt near hunter mountain just gotta watch some of the city folk they shoot at just about anything. I'm going up opening day if youd like to check out the area.

4. jflats123

jflats123 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info guys .Lets see if I get lucky

5. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any farms in your area will have bears any corn in the area there will be bear I hunt bears in windam area