Great last two hunts....but....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bporter, Oct 30, 2010.

1. bporter

bporter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So the last two times I have been out, well for my first full year bow hunting, has been everything and more then what I could have expected. A little info on the spot I have been hunting. I live in SW ohio, and I have been hunting close to the river along some creeks that branch off of it. The spot I have picked is on one side of the creek with a crp field behind me facing deep woods. I am sitting in a little bit of a valley where 4 hills all meet up. Being how the wind has been up I have tried to position myself where I think the deer will be moving to get away from the wind.

First time out (monday), I was sitting at the base of a large oak tree with a great view on all sides of me. I clear away all the leaves around me so I can move a little bit( I use a 3D suit). Sat down around 4:45 or so. I took my grunt call, doe bleat, and my rattle kit(knight & hale) to play with. Throw a few grunts, and bleats out every 45 mins or so along with a rattle every 30 mins or so. At about 5:45, i look to my right and there is a doe just staring at me. We have a nice 10 min stare down then she starts blowing like no tomorrow. She bounds away about 40 yards and sticks around for another 20 or so mins. At about 6:50 I decided that Im going to rattle once more, give it 15 mins and leave. Well I rattle, and then it happens. I see my first shooter buck come running, and i mean RUNNING towards me. I am now shaking like a leaf, so i take a few breaths, and I get ready to take a shot. This guys coming right to me, the only problem is, it's getting dark really really fast. I follow him till hes broadside at 25 yards and I have the pin right on him.....but i decide its too dark, and i dont want to just injure this deer. I was bummed I didnt fling the arrows but I was proud of myself for not taking that chance on injuring him.

Last night(Friday) me and my hunting buddy go back, and this time we move a stand back where I was sitting on Monday. We get it all set up and im in the tree at 4:45 again. Sitting there playing with the calls again, and the rattles here and there. I think from 5:45 - 7:00 I saw deer the whole time. 3 bucks total about 13 or 14 doe. Had a decent 8 point that will be a nice looking buck in a year or two i passed on. Around 6:45 i see to my left a big bodied deer again. It was the buck from money I am almost 100% sure. To my right a button buck who had been around for about an hour starts stomping at the big dude. They grunt at each other, then the big guy whos about 50 yards away now, wheezes at the little buck. Im standing there waiting on the big guy to go about 10 more yards till i have an opening and a shot.... too dark once again.

Man, I wish i would have started hunting a long time ago. What a great first year it has been so far. My first all day sit tomorrow in a new spot then back to the creek spot again on weds.

Thanks for all the info you all share here, and sorry for the long post.

Blake