Grappling Hook?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kurveball18, Aug 9, 2016.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So like many of you, all I've been thinking about at work is bowhunting and new stuff I gotta get etc. Well this year im getting a new hang on to replace the one I have. But one of the things I've been trying to perfect is eliminating going up and down the tree multiple of times. I've watched different youtube videos and some guys have good ideas but then they need extra ropes etc to pull up their bow and another rope they use to pull gear bag up.

To me, that is too much still but I was curious if anyone uses a grappling hook to pull gear up and then all you need is the one rope. Here is my thinking how this would go down with a lone wolf and sticks setup.

Get to tree and pull the 4 sticks off and set bow on ground in a good position.

2 sticks would be on my side in a loop I have made on the side of my harness.

Put 1st and second stick on tree and keep climbing using the 2 sticks on my side.

Once I'm at desired height I take stand off my back and put on the tree. At this point this is where other guys I've seen have multiple ropes danging all over connected to bow and other gear.

Once stand is on the tree, I un-do the rope that is rapped around the base of the stand that has a grappling hook on the bottom and send it to the ground.

Next I would get into my stand and connect safety harness and sit down.

Now all I have is 1 rope, All I gotta do is dangle the hook pull my pack up. Then drop it back down and hook it to my bow and pull that up.

Too me seems like a good idea, Anyone else try this or know where I could get a grappling hook?

2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To many cut up threads today. Im confused.

3. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A weighted treble snagging hook with the points and barbs filed off should work. Another idea is to use a 25-30 foot retractable dog leash clipped to your rear pants belt loop. It's out of the way and the tension on the line keeps it from tangling. I'm trying the leash this year as I'm tired of my haul rope tangling. I plan to clip it on my platform when using my climber.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  4. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    not a bad idea. I think if i did that, i would coat it with rubber spray

5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to geargrappler.com - Home

Fairly certain there is another company that makes something along the same lines but the name evades me...

FWIW I do not want my expensive bow/gear dangling from a hook on its way up. Too risky IMO, one lil fall and dang

Shocker99 and oldnotdead like this.
  6. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Good point, I never thought of the fact of my bow accidentally falling off the hook. Maybe I am better off using 2 ropes with carabiners then. 1 for bow and the other for my pack/jacket etc.

7. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Safety third :)

8. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why not just use one rope with 2 carabiners attached? One for the pack and one for the bow.

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    I often thread the rope thru the top handle / loop on my pack then biner to the bow cam.... or just wear my pack up.

10. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    You read my mind. I think that is what I'm going to do. Have my rope be about 25 feet or so and one carabiner on the end and then one that is about 3-4 feet from the end. Bow will be on the end and pack will be on the one up a little ways.

thanks guys, I'm always trying to make thing stupid simple but sometimes the ideas I come up with turn out to be even more work than what I originally was thinking.

Shocker99 likes this.
  11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get one rope twice the length needed for your stand height, with a biner at each end.

12. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:

Just to make sure I understand you correctly. So lets say I always hunt at 15 feet. I would have a rope that is about 30 feet and right in the middle attach it to the stand or whatever. That way its like 2 ropes danging down with a carabiner on each end?

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yes. I don't like the idea of the bow and pack being pulled up at the same time incase it slips, not only would the bow be hitting the ground but it may have the pack landing on it also. also if the rope would break you will still have a length long enough to use.

14. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1470933675.149850.jpg

My latest attempt to solve the problem of haul ropes tangling. $12 dog leash and $3 nite ize s-Biner. Supposed to hold a 100lb dog. 26 feet. Hoping this serves me well.

15. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If we could get the guys who make shoelaces that never stay tied to get with the makers of haul ropes that tie themselves into knots.... and they switch materials. That would be great. :-/

Shocker99 and oldnotdead like this.
  16. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Attach the end of pack rope to the bow and carry the bow rope when you climb. Once in the stand pull up the bow and that brings up the end of the second rope to pull up the pack.

17. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would just attach both pack and bow to one end of the rope. Far as the rope breaking, dont use old or dryrotted rope. I use 550 cord, or paracord, same thing. Tie good knots and you wont have to worry about any slippage. 550 cord is good about not slipping at the knot anyway. And unless you are pulling up 100 pounds or so it shouldnt slip out of your hands. The down side to 550 cord is that it has a little stretch to it. But that is just my preference. The below picture might be what you are after.

cowstail2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  18. SEMO Growler

SEMO Growler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This works well for me As far as rope knotting up, I was shown a trick that prevents that. I'll try to explain. With your palm up and fingers spread,wrap the rope around the back of your thumb then around your pinky finger thus creating a figure 8 of rope in the palm. Sound weird but it will not tangle if done properly....for what it's worth.
    As far as the pack I just wear it up and hang once I'm up. I like the two biner one rope twice as long though. Think I'll try it. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1471095195.222944.jpg

Shocker99 likes this.
  19. marine1986

marine1986 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't want to swing that hook and try to snag my gear in the dark... Sounds like it could turn into a major PITA.

20. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    THIS! ^
    Now, just pull your bow up. Over the years I've learned to keep things simple, I try to avoid lugging extra crap.