GPS apps

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Sep 11, 2018.

1. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using a lowrance huntc gps for years to scout and mark my treestands. I would use it when I headed into the woods early morning in the dark and my GPS just guided me to them. The gps bit the dust and I do not really want to lay out the change to get a new one if I do not have to. I used to mark the trees before the days of GPS with tacks or tape. Is there an app for cell phones that would do the same thing as the gps? Thanks in advance and God bless.

2. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For simply marking spots on the map, Google maps does a fine job for me. I have heard great things about on-x maps. I have no need for that so I choose not to pay for it, so its google maps for me.

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Use huntstand app to mark my stands, it shows your current location with gps turned on on phone. Haven't used it to navigate to stands really but its a free app you could maybe try. You can mark all kinds of different things on the maps besides stands.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    TJ...try Back Country Navigator. It's free. I've used it for many years and it is great.

5. Maggieze

Maggieze Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    +1
    [​IMG]

6. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hesitant to use tacks or tape on public simply because it'll lead others to my spot. Also, I've showed up in the morning to follow tacks and the whole woods just lit up with the dang things. If you're hunting public it's hard not to justify OnX. I'd personally lean towards a dedicated GPS unit, but that's only because I don't trust phones or their battery life.

7. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the same, but I think it's only free for 1 month not sure. Its worth the money though if you do have to pay.

8. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gaia is the best there is in my opinion. I just deleted onyx because it is too much of a pain in the butt in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Robert Normand

Robert Normand Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use OnX on my phone. I hunt public land, shows me the boundries and does a excellent job of marking stands and cameras. Plus, where I hunt, I have zero cell service. Works solely on the GPS. I downloaded my hunting area to the map, then click on the Offline button and it doesn't burn your battery up. The app is on the high side but its a excellent app. You may not need it for your situation though.

wibowhntr likes this.
  10. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt all public land and love OnX maps. I guess if you hunt private land and are just looking to get to your treestand in the dark I would go with one of the free apps, but if you are bouncy around on public land and need to know the property lines and which properties are open to the public I would recommend OnX maps. Like anything it isn't perfect, but I find it is a great tool.

Sent from my XT1650 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

11. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OnX user here as well. I use it for everything. From deer hunting, waterfowl, and fishing. Like stated above you can download areas you frequent and use them later on in offline mode. It’s really helpful when going after ducks or geese to have the land owner info of the field the birds are in. It will also show public land areas that one might not know about from just searching online.

wibowhntr likes this.
  12. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    OnX for me too. Pretty simple and inexpensive. It's either $19 or $29 a year for the membership with one state or $99 a year for all 50 states. They'll give you a 7 day trial when you download it so I'd give it a try.

wibowhntr likes this.
  13. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gaia has public land boundaries and offline maps as well. I personally think it is easier to use than Onx