Gps apps

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Dunlap, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Dunlap

Dunlap Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking for a gps app that doesn't run off internet. I looked at onXmaps and trimble pro. Both look good and download maps to an sd card but how do they actually do without cell phone and internet connection? The spot we found gets signal here and there.

2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the cached maps on onXmaps with no cell reception. It's a bit hit and miss. When it works, it's awesome. When it doesn't.... all you can see is that you're a blue dot on a grey background. heh. I have BackCountry Navigator Pro and an app called MyTrails that I use as a gps as well. MyTrails will often work when the others are still trying to load info. I use onXmaps the most but I won't delete the other two.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tried them all and finally broke down and bought a Garmin Rino. Between the GPS, built in radio, and the Basecamp software that is included it's one of the best scouting investments I've ever made.

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's the battery life on the rino? My old handheld gps died a year and half ago and I've been too cheap to replace it. I have been getting by pretty well with the cell phone but a dedicated gps would be better.

I looked at the rinos but I'm not sure I'd want gps and a radio rolled into one. Lol

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 530Hcx. I can typically get two full days (sunup to sundown) of hunting on a charge and then a few more hours the third day. You can also buy a pack that takes standard AA's if you would prefer to not have the factory rechargeable pack as well.

I looked at mine yesterday. So far I've got 12 miles of hiking in over the last 3 weeks while scouting and I've still got half a charge.

6. Dunlap

Dunlap Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was planning on getting a gps but I needed a new phone so I went with a smart phone. I have looked at a few different apps but haven't found one yet.

7. northroad

northroad Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use Spyglass for hunting and navigation. It works when offline and supports several map types. The most helpful function for me is the ability to mark spots and waypoints for tracking. I use it to mark my car and stands locations. It's a paid app but you won't regret.
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/spyglass/id332639548?mt=8&at=11lLc7&ct=c

8. poorscouserbob

poorscouserbob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use Gaia GPS. you can pre-download maps and save them locally or to the sd card on your phone. It is a paid app. Also can review your tracks, waypoints and points of interest on the computer when you get home via your log in.

9. NantucketShedHunter

NantucketShedHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use EveryTrail.

10. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    X maps has a new format where you can buy a chip for your phone/ipad etc and have access to that state offline. Chips are spendy though

11. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My trails is pretty sweet

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  12. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trimble app works great on my cheap Kyosera cell phone. I love that it has both topo and satellite images even on the free app. Have marked stand locations, beds and entrance/exit trails with the app and I'm sure I only use a small % of what it can actually do cause I am pretty electronically disabled!