Got some heat under your butt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by StinkyMatt, Sep 30, 2016.

1. StinkyMatt

StinkyMatt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Rookie question #3498 :biggrin:

Right now the weather is pretty warm.....but in the later parts of the season it may get pretty cold.

I will be hunting with my 10 year old son and want to maximize the chances that he will get hooked on the sport.

Do any of you use a portable heater in a ground blind? In a tree stand? (two person tree stand)

I honestly have no idea if this is OK, would it make my scent spread more? Does it make a difference?

Would love to hear about what you think about this.

2. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never ever done that I usually get hand warmers and those things you can stick your hands in clip it to the waist and sit with my hands in it holding the hand warmer when a deer comes by I rotate the hand warmer to my back side and shoot as normal also they make to warmers that stick inside your boots those are usually the first things to get cold toes and fingers

3. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    there are also heating packs with adhesive on them, you can stick one of those on your low back too
    those puppies are nice!

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IF he is just along to watch and not shoot, have him climb waist deep into a sleeping bag to keep his feet and lower body warm. Hand warmer muff, and good facemask. for those really cold sits.

5. StinkyMatt

StinkyMatt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Oh no......no spectator there.......My son is the primary shooter! (up to 20 yards max.) I get the second one.:biggrin:

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Than Feet and Hands. Keep them warm and he will probably be OK. I only wear gloves walking in and out. In stand, I take them off and use the warmer muff bare hands. I also always have something small to move around in my hands inside of the muff. Lighter, Pocket knife, Ipod. I also keep a light glove in the muff that I can put on left hand to keep it warm on the bow when aiming.

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the portable buddy heaters are quiet. idk about them on scent but I'm sure they prob just put out a little co2

8. Old West

Old West Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with folks who use little propane buddy heaters in large blinds with their children. This keeps them warm and keeps them more interested than they likely would be while freezing cold. My friends have had no issues shooting deer out of the blinds while the heaters are on. Do you best to play the wind, as with any situation.

9. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anytime I have my kids with in the late season (ground blind) I use my "mr. heater" propane heater. I throw the propane bottle/S in my backpack & figured out a way to "clip" it on my pack so it isn't to much of a pain in the butt. I know some people are "anti" due to the smell but I have never had a problem if your hunting the correct wind conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is no place colder than a treestand in the winter, since the wind typically leaves you fully exposed and the cold metal platform offers no insulation and likely draws out heat. Some folks put a carpet on their stand platform, but in snow or icy conditions that can be a literal killer. If you want to add the element of heat, a popup blind with a propane heater would seem to be the ticket. I cannot stand being in one while deer hunting because I feel like a spectator, but with a kid it will cover movement, contain scent and allow the use of a heater.

11. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've hunted with my kid in a blind and a mr. buddy heater. Had deer cross in front of me about 25 yards and seemed oblivious to us being there. Works great for when it's cold.

12. tdog

tdog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Started my son at 9 shotgun hunting with me in Illinois. 2nd season was the only time he could go and it's typically cold. I bought a double bull blind, mr heater big buddy and hooked it up to a 20lb propane cylinder camouflaged just outside of tent. 10 degrees outside and you can sit there in a sweatshirt and no gloves with it on high. Harvested numerous deer out of tent with heater going. I've even found myself sneaking into it on cold days on late season hunts when he's not with me. We leave it off in early morning and late afternoon due to glow it puts off in the tent.

13. Fezzik

Fezzik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen seat pads recently with heating elements in them that come with rechargeable batteries as well as one that would allow you to put chemical handwarmers in it. Also look into the zippo handwarmers, I have one and don't use it very often but it works fine in a hand muff and lasts for 6 plus hours

14. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a heated body suit so when I'm hunting in cold weather I'm in heat the entire time.

:lol:

15. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While I am bowhunting, no heater.

During my 9 days of rifle hunting, YES. I rifle hunt out of a ladder stand. My stand had a carpeted floor and we wrap it with carpet, making it like a mini box stand. Stick a heater under the seat and I can sit from sun up to sun down. With out it, you won't find me pulling all day sits here in MN. I haven't seen it negatively affect deer. If you get a catalytic type propane heater, they are silent. A sunflower style makes noise.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    IWOM will keep you warm and dry.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I saw Melissa Bachman take those heated back wraps and used them under her clothing to stay warm in very cold conditions.

18. rustednuts

rustednuts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can smell the propane burning on them in an iceshack, probably the same in the woods