Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Got my first one of ‘23! (With broadhead question)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by lazuras_dc, Nov 5, 2022.

1. lazuras_dc

lazuras_dc Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got my first deer down in South Texas last night (title should say ‘22) on the night before rifle opened. 90 degrees out no joke. Had this 9 point in at 30 yards broadside. Let one fly. He’s facing to my right. The arrow looks like as soon as it hits, it drops straight down and he runs off with front leg tucked. I get a bad feeling immediately based on reaction. Check the arrow and it’s a pass thru but very grainy/muscular blood and no blood trail from where he was to 50 yards where he enters the brush (sandy soil).

I back out and give him what feels like forever to go back out and track. Very little blood and I’m on my hands and knees. After almost giving up twice. Finally found some decent blood and a pig pile of frothy stuff that showed me I hit lung! Not far after that I find him! As a crow flies he made it 115yards but that’s a long crawl by yourself at night in the brush. Entry was a touch high and forward. Exit looks perfect but both are pinholes. Using 150gr iron wills.

Curious if it was shot placement or anyone else have that same experience with iron will ? By the look of the broadhead it looks like it would be devastating and blood trails would be easy to follow (can’t help the soil is sandy and probably soaks everything up) lol!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MUDSHARK likes this.
  2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your shooting a fixed head, that's the sized hole your gonna get.
    An iron will aint gonna leave a pin hole.
    Nice buck. Congrats.

3. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Geez, that looks like it was shot with a field tip.
    Looks like the broad head was really dull, like it was used to sight in and then wasn't sharpened back up. How confident are you in your sharpening abilitites?
    Not accusing you of anything by any means, that wound simply looks like it was made by an extremely dull tip. That exit is no bigger than the arrow shaft. Is it possible that it wasn't actually a pass through? The arrow went in, tip barely poked through the far side but then stopped, and then it fell out right away as he ran off?
    Even with a sharp head it is very common to not see good blood for the first 20-50 yards, I see that very commonly even with a rifle shot. Just depends on where they are hit and how fast they charge off.
    Glad you found him, nice looking buck. All I can say is keep those heads super sharp and shake it off. Iron Will's have a very solid reputation.

5. lazuras_dc

lazuras_dc Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It was a brand new iron will never been touched other than in and out of the quiver maybe 3/4 times. Another forum suggested a similar thing like the broadhead was so dull it stretched thru the hide versus cut it. If I hit the shoulder could it have dulled out that quickly before penetrating the other side? It never really looked like the arrow stopped. It looked like a pass through because I remember Seeing the lighted knock disappear then drop straight down like as soon as it got through it lost all momentum. Very weird indeed.
    The broad head certainly is no longer sharp, I can run it on my fingernail without it catching whatsoever.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Photos like that are very deceiving since the animal's hide is covering up the wound. Did you actually get in there and look at it closely? Any pics of the animal after it was caped out? My guess is that the exit is the exact size it's supposed to be, it's just a bad photo.

And sometimes they just don't bleed much - even on a double-lung hit.

cantexian likes this.
  7. JPG

JPG Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If it’s that dull after the shot I’d guess it wasn’t that sharp going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums