GoPro setup.

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by fishsoft92, Jul 30, 2017.

1. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I still need to get a video camera for the other end of the shot, so that isn't what this is about. I have a GoPro hero 4 silver, and I'm at a bit of a loss of how to set up for filming myself in the stand. The way I've been doing it is using the flexible leg tripod that I have and wrapping it around the shooting rail of the ladder stands and around the bow hanger for the hang ons. Would it be a better idea to get an arm to attach it to, leave it the way it is, or use some sort of other mounting system? I have an extremely basic mounting kit, so the tripod thing p, a pole, and a couple pipe mounts are all I have.

2. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get a mount and mount it to the tree above you looking down. Makes for a great angle and totally out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking about getting a GoPro Jam mount and secure it right to my bow hanger or camera arm.

[​IMG]

tynimiller and Hillbilly Jedi like this.
  4. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Clamp mount

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

5. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I used the Muddy Micro Mount. It worked good but there were times I would move the hanger arm and the cam wouldn't have me framed in properly. Then I started carrying a seperate bow hanger arm for this, but when combined with the Muddy mount, it's just too much weight and an extra thing to carry.

I'm trying hard to minimize the crap I carry this year for both bulk and weight, so I'm going to try using the HME Economy Camera Holder that's intended for trail cams. It has a standard 1/4-20 thread, and for $10 it should work without having to carry a bow hanger arm, plus is super compact, light, and adjustable.

http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/shopping/Economy-Trail-Camera-Holder-P940.aspx

ETCH-2.jpg

8. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like this. Simple, easy, small and you can clip it to just about anything. Just looked on Amazon and the Go Pro is $44. Already some knock-off on there too starting at $18.99.

9. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All good suggestions above. I use Magic Arms quite a bit, which can be similar to what the GoPro option is above. You can get them in all kinds of lengths and differing end configurations. Sometimes I use a Jobie GorrilaPod too to wrap around a small branch. I've also used the stick on GoPro flat mounts to my old Muddy tree arm and used some of the various GoPro arm pieces that come with the cameras (I tend to accumulate this stuff with each GoPro iteration that I buy). Finally, sometimes I just engineer something to work in a certain situation. I re-purpose a lot of old GoPro mounts in combination with various hardware or camera stuff that I have laying around. There are tons of inexpensive things that you can make work honestly.

10. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    I'll definitely be checking out the jam mount, it looks like exactly what I want. Thanks for all the help, guys.

11. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    So, it turns out my dad has a Muddy Micro mount that he bought 3 years ago or so to try and use his Panasonic camcorder that was about 4 years old then. I’ve been using that it it works great. Just bought a knock off sportsman mount from amazon, and I’ll see if I can swing the money for a Session sometime soon.