Good content at an all time low.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, May 5, 2014.

1. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, this is interesting content... I have witnessed similar problems on other forums where I have been a veteran user. I fully appreciate apathy to posting as repetition is dull.

Perhaps important to note, and or point out is the search function at the top of the page. With a gentle reminder, users, new or old can look for answers BEFORE posting the same old kind of question which apparently annoy or deter "veteran" users from responding.

The problem with this however is that BHOD like any website, bulletin or blog rely on hits and traffic to measure success and sponsors paying for sites, use these values to quantify their input. If posts drop because people search for answers rather than ask the same questions, then BHOD or any site for that matter will die. Sponsors will see less traffic and provide reduced funding accordingly. Unfortunately, money talks and without money, life is much more difficult.

The problem in this case is also the solution... post more quality content be it tactics or whatever.

T

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Scott...I really want to thank you for bringing this up as it does 2 things....

1. It is an issue, so like any other issue, bringing awareness to it will spark some to think along those lines and increase threads that will make us better hunters.

2. It was YOU that posted it. Getting tactics guys like you posting about tactics will bring a much needed addition to this site....seriously, they should PAY you to keep these topics out there and to teach.

This site (The guys on this site and the other one), changed the way I hunted by educating me to another way of thinking. Many of it I probably argued in the past ...some I am sure I still will, but it has made me a much better hunter ...and it is because of guys like you, Gri22, Germ. etc and the bow knowledge from Mobo, Tfox, Brucelanthier, Rick James, etc. and so many more....

Knowledge is great...this place adds understanding with it and THAT is the missing element in the other sites.

3. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure I qualify as an old head, but I also came over from HNI. I think the biggest difference has already been mentioned, guys get tired of saying the same thing over and over.

Also, guys are generally more sensitive now. The 20 page threads made it that far with a lot of name calling, disagreeing, and also alot of good information along the way. It was good fun, and worth tuning in.

Now, if a thread hits 5 pages its either a damn I gotta text thread from a guy I have never met but I ride his sack and he is my friend because he kills deer and I don't and I am in his text circle, or a thread that's on the verge of getting shut down with several warnings already posted.

All the guys names being thrown around in Tony's where are they now thread use to fight like hell, but also admit they were wrong, or exchange great info in a different thread.

Justin and the guys do a great job with this site, one of the best on the web....but members are needed to spend money and keep the site alive, a bunch of pissing matches runs the younger, softer, bigger spending crowd away. I say this, and I am a fairly young guy myself.

imagine how sensitive a lot of this group is....now let one of them battle Atlas on whether their scent blocker suit really works, and can be cleared of smells by the heat of a dryer...or Fran telling everyone he does not care to shoot his bow, and will take a marginal shot before he lets a hit list buck walk....or Bruce telling them what a dumbass they are for shooting a mech from a poorly tuned bow....or GMMAT simply busting their chops regardless of the topic, and backing it up with some pretty good info, and if that fails just simply riding them until they crack....silverfliker would dust these guys and would care not about a warning or banning, he is also the first guy to welcome me to HNI...nice dude...Mr. longbeard telling every one they suck unless they turkey hunt public land, I still deal with him on another forum and he's as good as ever. Just told me good job on a tamed private land bird, and never commented on one I killed on public land, and it's awesome....that thread is 13 pages and counting....

Their would be texts, PM's and all sorts to the mods crying to make them stop...and when numbers suffer, banning start.

This is only my opinion, but something I have thought for a long time. The internet is supposed to be fun, entertaining etc...when business and feelings mix, well, everyone can't conform.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ya the over sensitivity of this place kills me sometimes ......I agree with the above^^
    This site more then a few others I frequent this seems to be norm and I think that it's suppresses some dialog at times...I

5. KodiakIslandArchery

KodiakIslandArchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree to a point, not slow, just active with good content.
    Other forums are full of garbage threads, I think most of us agree where that forum is.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a relative noon here compared to many, but not to forums. I agree about running out of things to talk about. Also when someone asks a question and some folks reply with "been discussed a hundred times, do a search." It kind of deters folks from starting new threads. I don't see that as much here as other sites but it is a deterant.

7. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think this sums it up to a T.

8. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree wholeheartedly. Some resort to that so often on most forums, heck they might as well close the forum down and call it BowhuntingWiki or something....do your own research LOL!

9. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm right here! I love this topic though as it is the main reason that I gave myself a time-out before one of the mods had to. Honestly, its because I was getting really frustrated with moronic posts and one or two word replies. Some of these guys just want to see their avatar up on the screen. Look up the post history of some of these dullards and see how many one or two word posts they have. Zero content from a few that have zero information to share unless its about the last time they took a dump or what they ate for breakfast. My life has gotten really busy and my patience level was just too low to put up with fools. Some of them are definitely their own biggest fan. I think I will just have to learn to use the ignore button a little more often.

10. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is a bit of a hot topic for me and I rarely address it, but feel somethings could be pointed out. I am obviously a newbie. It seems to me that new blood is what keeps a forum alive. As the newbie becomes a non-newbie his skill level will increase as will the sophistication of his contribution to the forum. The down side is those who are less than tolerant of repeating question cop a serious attitude reflected in a 'dude, this question has been asked, look it up yerself'. This is a real turn off to folks not familiar with such a format. Just sayin. I have received lotsa help here, but also have received a bit of scorn. If someone doesn't like the subject of dealing with newbies, that's cool, but keep outta the topic if a person doesn't have something positive to say. Even when a person gains skills and knowledge, some of the more 'experienced' (read 'entrenched') can be pretty aggressive in pointing out the inexperience of a poster and their own deep breadth of knowledge, again a real turn off. Forums that get this way can become very inbred, and interesting queries become more and more rare. Again, just sayin.

11. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda like the blind leading the blind...? ORRR, maybe an member with experience who also enjoys teaching newbies (who by definition will tend to ask similar questions) can step up, and those who do NOT enjoy that activity can wait for the newbie to stop asking newbie questions? See, if a newbie answers another newbie (as I have seen attempted) the experience then ridicule the answer.

12. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be more apt to post if I could finally hunt. Unfortunately I didn't do hunters ed for turkey season.

13. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those old topo threads taught me ALOT. Learning that helped me become the killer I am today. Not to mention 100 other tips and tricks I've learned on this site.

14. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was actually planning on posting in Rick James bedding thread, but this website will currently not let me use the enter button on my PC for whatever reason. So I'm logging off due to frustration.

15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great conversation. Like many things, I think there are an infinite number of reasons that it's harder to find tactic threads.

In the "good ol' days" you could check out for a week and come back to 20 threads. It was easy to keep up to date on everything in the forum. Conversations were more in depth because there were fewer people talking. Kinda like sitting around the campfire. You have 3-6 guys there and you can have a great conversation. Try to have the same conversation with 25 people there and it's hard.

Yes, many of the old timers get sick of answering the same questions over and over, but often those same people that heard it over and over will begin to stand up and answer newbie's questions the next go round. People tend to get more excited about something new, so many oldtimers are simple running out of things to get excited about.

One thing I've always liked about this site is it's friendly nature. That's why I joined in the first place. I would like this to continue to be a place where someone's 12 year old son or daughter can sign up, ask questions and feel comfortable doing so. I've been members of other non-hunting forums, and I can't stand the garbage that gets spewed in some of those places.

My best advice for this community:
    - You can disagree without being disagreeable.
    - Be the change you want to see.
    - Ignore the trolls (literally, you can click the ignore button)
    - Use the search, then ask more specific questions.
    - Remember what it was like when you had no clue.

Also, here are some current threads that have great content and/or could use some "old timer" input:
    http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/61397-tactics-scouting-public-land.html
    http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/61410-buck-bedding-patterns-midwest.html
    http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/61390-targeting-specific-deer.html

16. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Are you using Internet Explorer? IE was alway buggy for me, that's why I switched to Chrome. It's worked flawlessly ever since.

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like tactics threads. My bowhunting life pretty much revolves around where to find and kill deer. I am pretty simple in the equipment part of bowhunting and everything else......those things dont really excite me unless it means helping someone else or asking a very specific question.

18. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    negative.

i haven't used internet explorer since the bush administration.

i can use the return button just fine on my IPAD however. But I'm not about to type on this ridiculous screen any more than I have to.

19. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mike, try clicking the A/A button and then typing.

I can barely post unless I click that button. I figure it was JZ attempting to dissuade me from posting but I will not be foiled so easily! :)

20. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would post more about tactics but my terrain, how I scout it and how I hunt it... is pretty worthless to 99% of the bow hunters on here. When you mention cattail sloughs... ducks come to mind not deer. I probably bore you with the amount that I do post. I do enjoy reading about other's tactics though and wish there was more of it.

I could really careless about what bow anyone is shooting or seeing pictures of them but have no problem that others do like it. A couple of these guys are being a little harsh but then they seem to like to whine regardless of the subject. Pay them no attention and post away. If you are new and you have a question...ask. We all have our reasons for coming here. I like the hunting stories/pictures that everyone posts or tactics.

Tim