Good content at an all time low.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, May 5, 2014.

1. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the quality of posts but you can always start another tactical thread. Plus most tactical threads that I see don't get much attention from the proven hunters. They spend too much time in the water cooler. :lol:

The times I have had questions on tactics I just used the wonderful search button, and usually there has already been a thread made about the topic of question.

I would love to get into more tactical discussion but I don't have any great thread ideas right now.

2. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A little distance doesn't stop the rest of us...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

3. brazel_dazel

brazel_dazel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I apologize that I misread your tone. But I hope you can understand how easily it can be mis-interpreted by that one sentence, "I wouldn't expect you to understand".

I am a newer member, so I can't compare the site to what it once was. However, I can tell you that the information I have recieved from very friendly users has helped my learning curve and encouraged me to continue with the sport.

What has really changed? If you are still posting threads on tactics and asking for help/discussion on hunting strategies, are people simply not replying, or are you just not satisfied with their answers or the amount of discussion/thought put into responses? Maybe if we can pin point what the change is from then and now, this whipper snapper can get a taste of the old site as you describe.

4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's cool no apology needed...

There used to be a collection of guys where we would often dissect topo maps, aerial maps and just talk about many of the things we have learned and or has worked for us like bedding areas, scrapes, terrain features etc etc.

These discussions were most often held in others threads mostly new or up and comer members threads (not always though). Knowledge and experience would be shared with everyone. I have learned a lot of good stuff over the years chasing whitetail and I enjoy talking and sharing it with others. I know there are many others here who have a lot to talk about or share but for what ever reason haven't for a while. It just comes down to the discussion is has lacked.

5. brazel_dazel

Dislikes Received:
    Backcountry, it isn't a matter of maturity level to defend yourself when you feel like someone took a poke at you. A lot of people would read that sentence, "I wouldn't expect you to understand" and have a bad taste after. Maybe it could have been worded as you said it. Regardless, I feel like the point has gotten lost here. You are a senior member, and if you agree with the idea that the forum has declined, I ask you what has changed? Let's pin point the problem and concentrate on that. Are people not replying, or are you just not satisfied with their answers? Maybe something else?

6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I was around when it all started here, but I honestly didnt know there were places like this forum, and I didnt take it as serious as i do now. I plan on being here for the long haul and like my signature says, I'm proud to call these forums home. These forums are a BIG step up from the other ones, and the friendships you guys have makes this truly a one of a kind place. I can't wait to meet alot of people on here when i attend the GTG next year. I look forward to helping newer bowhunters and will gladly answer some of the same old same old questions.

7. brazel_dazel

Dislikes Received:
    Well you said you have started countless tactics threads. People aren't sharing in the discussion like they used to? Or just giving less thoughtful answers? Let's get more specific on what is lacking from the discussion.

8. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It wouldn't stop me if I had an income, but I'm in school so I can't afford to take the trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been into forums for quite a few years now including being a moderator, 'pro-staff', regular member etc. and this forum is no different than many that are out there. All of them have experienced that large influx of new members and things get busy fast. After a while, after a few arguments or the same old questions and topics come through members slowly start to wander away. Whether its' like Dan mentioned, the same question being answered time and again, or things start to get 'old' that's when people start looking for that next happening place OR they just take themselves out of the conversations all together. To me the biggest thing that runs people off over the years has been arguments that get out of control. That is the biggest distraction that onlookers just sit there and shake their heads, wondering if this or that person is really that way if they ever met them. The problem is...if staff start censoring things or banning people they look to be the bad guys. Most problems start with people who have agendas. You will see it when one thread gets closed down those same people turn to another and soon the topic is again reflected upon or they hold a grudge and constantly bring up the past (past comments/actions/etc.) in other people's threads.

It's really up to us as people to learn when it's time to fight for what you stand for and when to stop badgering and pushing your own agenda and picking fights, especially in someone else's thread they started just to spark a decent conversation or ask a question.

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both. People would start threads asking for help or ideas with their land. Then the threads would get a few pages worth of feedback from many experienced members as well as members learning as they go. They were a good resource for people to learn how to read maps and implement strategy to their hunts.

You rarely see them any more. Seems all anyone want to talk about is broadheads and bows now.

New broadheads and bows most certainly will not make anyone a better hunter. Although, knowledge will.

We had a knowledge sharing culture here, that has slowly eroded away to a whats the latest and greatest culture.

11. brazel_dazel

Dislikes Received:
    I think I am starting to fully understand now what you were getting at. Maybe this thread will get people to pay more attention to these things. As a newcomer tot he sport I have mostly been caught up in the threads about broadheads and bows and arrow selection, things to help me become more accurate as an archer. I guess I haven't spent too much time thinking about sharing strategies as I grew up learning on my own through trial and error. I think I know of a map sharing program that might work well with the forums. This might make it easier for people to upload maps of their hunting area and truly get some strategic talk going.

With this in mind, how much do you know about turkey hunting? I am sick of those little buggers out smarting me!

12. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not a thing when it comes to turkey.

13. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll admit I'm a newb and "I wouldn't understand the good ol' days", I think this site is excellent. My last 2 bows for myself I've started by coming here for input. Every post I've put up has had great traction and some very intelligent data. I had my sister join just so she could do the same and she checks the forum 5 times a day. I don't know who's running this joint, but my hat is off to you.

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That would be backcountry ;)

15. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you guys are right. This thread is a great example of that! :dan: I honestly think there are only so many deer tactics. Most questions can be answered with the search. Speaking of which, I propose the next person that asks which tree stand is best be put in a time out! :lol:

16. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been a member very long either, but I've learned quite a bit from the site. I've also made a few friends as well. I don't always post, but I read most of the threads.

I like the site, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Personally, I'd love to see guys like Buckeye and/or any of the much more experienced member start a legitimate learning thread about Topo Maps, scouting techniques, etc.

I don't think I've read one thread on the site where there was a collective learning experience about Topo maps. I've seen plenty of threads about Topo maps, and hunters who're having trouble reading them, etc.

I'd love to know what you know. So if you're an expert or have a lot of knowledge to share, I'm all ears. I'll try to post, but mostly it'll be in question form.

I look forward to it.

17. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can remember these same complaints over on the Bowsite 15 years ago. On HNI multiple times in the past decade. It's about time people get serious about complaining on this site. :D

18. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some people rather read and learn from those who have more expierence than speak and make a fool of him or her self. I spent most of last year reading the threads and picking up anything that could be useful in helping me have a successful hunt. Justin knows the numbers better than us but I wonder if the Roku app takes some people away from the forums because it's easier to just watch the web episodes. A more casual audience might not even be aware of the forum maybe some more plug ins for it on the show might boost the numbers.

19. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, Preacher.

20. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While I can't speak for everyone, I can tell you what I think is wrong with this place. I become increasingly disinterested over here.

1. Stupid threads- Some people post the most irrelevant crap sometimes. "I went hunting today and it was fun" Cool thread topic.

2. Laziness among most people to search- Nearly everything has been covered, if you have specific questions, post a thread. We do not need to discuss "which broad head flies exactly like a field tip?" 16,000 times.

3. The lack of discussion about important topics- Again, we don't need to discuss "which color string stop will make my bow look the best?"

4. Threads with no depth- It's hard to continue a thread when everyone unanimously agrees on the answer in 10 seconds. I feel people often post stuff just to hear other's say "yes".

5. What should I name this buck?- :dan:

6. Former Posters who are no more- Will, Rob, and Bruce to name a few. Where the hell is fletch?

The amount of engaging threads used to be much higher. I honestly never open about 98% of the topics.