Good broadheads....??

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by okhunter89, Sep 15, 2009.

1. okhunter89

okhunter89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to this sport...this is my second year to hunt with a bow.....i am looking to buy some new broadheads...anyone with experience have any suggestions.....i used muzzy's last year which probably wasnt the best choice....everyone around here tells me RAGE is the way to go.....

2. ILLUSION HUNTER

ILLUSION HUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest not going with a mechanical BH if your new to bowhunting. Although I'm sure rage is a great BH when your hunting with any mechanical BH there is always a chance of something going wrong. I think Muzzy is a good BH and for just keeping things simlple maybe the best way to go. I shoot the G5 Montec and love that BH. Everyone has a different opinion, mine is that fixed BHs have no risk of mechanical error and would be better to start with than a mechanical BH. IMOP

3. bowtechdude

bowtechdude Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    go with the new bloodrunners...you cant go wrong...I actually shoot the Rage 2 blade and love them, but the bloodrunner is a mechanical/fixed blade combo if you will either one is 40.00/3 BH's Rages fly exactly like my field points do!

I have also shot the Rocket Steelheads too and these are a very efective BH too...the key is to go for the imfamous double lung shot, instead of the heart shot...the double lung keeps you away from the shoulder blade!

I had a cousin lose a very nice buck because of a muzzy BH and he tucked it right behind the shoulder and he was completely broadside...very poor blood trail.

It all boils down to personal opinion...Chevy/Ford?:D

4. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot muzzys for years. They have never let me down. The three blade BH are good. I like the MX-4 a little better.

5. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What difference does being new to the sport make as far as choosing mechanical heads?

I would say someone who is new to bowhunting is less likely to have their bow tuned well enough for fixed heads as compared to a veteran.

I use fixed heads now but I killed a lot of animals with mechanicals when I got started.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  6. okhunter89

okhunter89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well the reason i was looking for a new BH is because last year i made a pretty good shot on a deer and it didnt get quite the penetration i was expecting...the guy who had the bow before me used RAGE broadheads on his arrows and his arrows made complete pass throughs everytime....i was just seeing if any body had other suggestions other than RAGE! thank yall very much

7. Deerslayer7

Deerslayer7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well he prolly have a clean shot through the vitals....were did you hit the deer, front shoulder, somewhere it could of got hung up and hit bone. Mechanical Rage BH are good whether your new to the sport or not...if anything there easier to use, because they fly just like your feild tips. Doesnt take much new or not, screw em on and go shoot..haha

I used muzzy the first two or 3 years i bow hunted, just wanted a change, but they are great BH. I like Tekan BH, G5 Montecs, Rage 2 and 3 blade, which i used now, and i have been experimenting with some others, but its your preference, i do know for a fact, that the biggest damage i have ever put on a deer has been my 3 blade rages, and i have never had a problem with mechnical problem.

8. ILLUSION HUNTER

Dislikes Received:
    Cooter IMO I just think that with mechanicals there is always a chance of somthing going wrong. Either the o ring slipping down or it coming open when it's not suppose to ext. These things can happen wether your new at the sport or you have hunted for years, but IMO at least for me when I first started and a buck would come out it's hard enough just trying to your bow slowly pulled back and form and other variables. Mechanical BH just add to it. That's just my thought on it, but I'm definatly no expert.

9. bowtechdude

Dislikes Received:
    IMO I would have to disagree on your point that a mechanical causes more problems! The reason I am saying this is because of the fact that 1) They fly identical to a field point and a fixed blade tends to plane and even if you practice with your target BH's it doesnt mean your hunting heads are going to hit that same spot, because there are too many variable...such as straightness of that particular head, blades not lined up the same with fletchings because of the threads varrying in length from head to head. 2) When I am shooting mechanicals the second thoughts are not even present as when I used to shoot fixed blade heads at a deer. 3) Wind is not nearly as much of a factor either!

I do however agree with the fact that some mechanicals are not designed very well....but Rockets and Rages use a blade position that is held back from the tip approx a 1/2 in where some of the others are even with the tip and can and will cause deflection on quartering away shots!

One more thing too, if you cant draw your bow smoothly...you are overbowed...as a matter of fact I just saw a tip on a hunting show that said if you can't pull your string straight back without raising your bow hand...then you are pulling too much weight!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  10. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All mechanicals should not be lumped into the same category. There are some brands which I would not use and others which are excellent. There are some fixed heads on the market I would not use either. I have killed 20 whitetails and 3 bears with Rocket Steelheads and they performed flawlessly in every instance.

I use G5 Strikers now as I just felt like trying something different for the hell of it. I still have some Steelheads though and they will get used again at some point.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  11. bowtechdude

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like the proof is in the pudding! Way to go on those kills Cooter!

12. shrek the bowhunter

shrek the bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i shoot my doe with the new bloodrunners and they did a hell of a job on her i love them

13. Deerslayer7

Deerslayer7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yeah ..i just think that being new to the sport and stuff is a non-factor. You shoot and practice all the time. If you feel sited in and shooting in groups, this should have nothing to do with pulling a bow back and your mechanics when shooting. Now if the BH malfunctions and then thats in reality is not your fault, something you cannot control...i know from experience of using rages, that i have never had a problem ever with this.....I guess whatever you feel fits your needs...

14. ILLUSION HUNTER

Dislikes Received:
    Man u guys are going to talk me into buying some rages :) My cousin just bought some and I'm looking forward to see what they can do. I hear all your points and it makes sence I guess I just feel that with mechanical working parts there is a chance of something going wrong with then opening when their not or not opening when they should, but I have no experience with rage BH so I can't truely argue my point. I guess I was just going off from the things I've heard on mechanicals and that has gotten me peranoid on getting them to try myself. I'm sure every year mechanicals get better and more full proof, I guess I won't truely know until I try it for myself.

15. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the G5 Montecs. Had pass thrus and great blood trails with each deer I've shot with them.

16. longhunter 66

longhunter 66 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I started using swacker mbh. I shot a button buck on a landowners tag. The shot went through the rib and cut the heart half into.

17. Insignia

Insignia Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Made a good position shot at 22 yards on a nice 8 pt this past weekend with a Rage BH. Passed through but missing one blade when exiting (must have hit bone somewhere inside) but that meant that the exit was only approx 1". Not much blood; unable to track past 100 yards; lost the deer. This is the only problem with mechanicals that I see. Considering changing to Crimson Talon. Anyone have experience with this BH? It shoots very well with very little tunning.

18. Bleedin'Buck

Bleedin'Buck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i understand trying to take the mechanical failure aspect out of the broadhead as 1 less thing to worry about but in the same sense you get in your truck to drive to work everyday not thinking it could fail and a hundred other things everyday that could fail but 99% of the time dont so y r u so worried that the little heaad on the end of your arrow will now i have to admit this year will be the first time i have tried a mech. head but i say new or old give em a try and dont worry about the possible failure of the head

19. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I swore up and down I would never use a mechanical head. 2 years ago I bought into all the Rage talk and picked up a pack. My first evening out I got my chance. For whatever reason (broadhead failure or shot placement) I barely got any penetration (from tip of head to the end of blood on arrow was only 3 inches). I looked for the deer for nearly 4, but never found him.

That next week I spotted him shotgun hunting fine and healthy. No limp, but there was a noticeable scar on his side. Not sure if it was the heads fault or mine, but it was enough for me to screw my Montecs back on.

I am the minority it seems around here, as most I hunt around use mechanicals, and they all love them. Just my opinion I guess.

20. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    if fixed blades are planeing, then your bow is not tuned correctly, and means that your mechanicals are not getting the maximum amount of KE they can get. Blades lined up with fletching does absolutly nothing in this department
    the only mechanical heads I avoid are the piston point heads. Ice can ruin their lives.
    100% on the money

Illusion, you are shooting a Compound bow, there is ALOT working there, it is already a complicated system. No need to keep it simple. Tons of research went into these things to make em work right. Do yours and find the one that works best for yah, or not. Fixed heads are great too!! But I can say this, I have never had a rage "Open in flight" or the o ring slip. they are just like every other broadhead. Check em, make sure they are in order, sharp and functioning and they work great