Gonna be a fun fall! Just about have everything readdy to go! (pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by pastorandrew, Jul 25, 2012.

1. VERMONTSTER_0341

VERMONTSTER_0341 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hot sauce?!? Would have never thought of that lol. Seems like the sauce was a successful deterrent? I would assume that closer to hunting season you stop using the hot sauce, then what, hope for a good rain to wash it off? How long after you stop spraying the sauce did the deer start to feed on the beans? I think this is very interesting and much cheaper than an electric fence or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well I came up with the idea after reading about hot pepper wax spray for garden plants to keep deer from eating them. So i wanted to try it to see if it would work. the night before I tried it there was at least a dozen deer feeding on the young soybeans. Sprayed them the next day. to my suprise that night the deer all walked around the plot and didn't feed on it at all. I sprayed it three or four times, from late may through mid july. once the beans had gotten to a certian point I figured they would grow fatser than the deer could eat them off and stopped. seemed to work!

3. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    This is a great thread. There is lot to learn from it. Thank You

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    At what rate say per gallon of round up mixed in a sprayer did you add the hot sauce? Any special kind, we talking Louisiana or Franks :)? (semi kiddin)

5. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 20 gallon sprayer for my atv, I would put a few bottles, i think they were 16 onces each in a full tank. so I had appx 32 onces in 20 gallons of water, mmixed with the round up concentrate.

One thing you could consider doing is getting a bunch of dried cayenne pepper and cooking them in oil, this would create a hot oil that would stick to plant leaves. Just don't do it inside, it would fumigate the house with hot pepper smell and it will burn your lungs. lol

I used the sheapest hotsuace I could find. I bought a bunch of I think it was spartan brand (its a knock off of franks) on sale. wear a mask when spraying it, you will be able to smell the hot suace when you apply it.
    I found it to work, plan on doing it again this year.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh wow...we typically spray ours with just a little 3 gallon or so hand sprayer so won't take much sauce at all! Thanks!

7. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice work, your management efforts will surely bring you many great memories and successes!