Gonna be a fun fall! Just about have everything readdy to go! (pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by pastorandrew, Jul 25, 2012.

1. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome man. Great stuff! I will be contactng you and picking your brain when I have bought my 40 acres and start my own food plots.

2. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well my father in law passed away, so i was away from home for a few weeks. Was excited to get back and see how the plots were doing! They look great, all around best I have had so far! Gotta love food plottin and habitat management! Enjoy!

soybeans are now chest high, this plant has 153 pods on it! should be lots of feed for my deer come winter!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Its fun to watch brasicas grow!
    PLANTED JULY 23RD, THIS PICTURE IS FROM AUG. 12TH [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THIS IS THE PLOT SCREEN OF EGYPTIAN WHEAT, LOVE THIS STUFF! [​IMG]

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome looking beans an plot man. We are going to get a drill next year. We borrowed one last year and broadcast this year. I seeded a little too heavy in spots. Plants are growing tall in the thick spots, but are spindly and not as many pods as I would like. Where its not seeded too heavy it looks great though.

Good luck this fall and keep the pics coming!

4. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is one awesome looking plot. You should have a a killer hunting spot this fall. I'm totally jealous. Wish we would have gotten some rain so my plots could look half that good.

Well done!

5. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    thanks guys! I was gone for fifteen days, in that time we got nine inches of rain. we have been blessed to have consistent rainfall all year here. Have never seen a year like it. driving acrossed Iowa, Nebraska, and Illinois was wild some place corn is waist high and dead. Blew me away how bad the drought is acrossed our nation. I have been blessed!

6. Deep6

Deep6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I don't get a rain in the next couple of days, I'm sure I'll be replanting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    quick
    update on a rainyday!
    they are pounding my brassicas like wild right now.
    shot this buck off a brassicas plot deeper in the woods monday night. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome. Beatiful plots and great buck. You definitely deserve it after all the work you put into it. Congrats.

9. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great thread!

10. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's fantastic. It's good being you:)

11. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't updated in a while, this is why I love habitat improvement!

This is a 3 1/2 yr old eight I call homeboy. He hardly ever leaves our place. This is today at 9 in the morning. Mind you the guns have been blazin for 12 days now here. He feels safe moving in daylight on our place. the brassicas are doing there job. For the first time in my life I am passing 3 1/2 yr olds in michigan in second week of gun! LOVE IT!
    [​IMG]

this is a 2 1/2 yr old i call high and tight. have been passing him regularly as well!
    [​IMG]

12. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Love it man, keep up the pics!

13. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    quick picture update, picked up homeboys match set of sheds today! man i am pumped, have lots of pics of him and have passed him with both bow and gun this year! pretty sweet!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice sheds! I see you planted brassicas and soybeans side by side. I'm still debating on which to plant for next year. Which one has been hit harder throughout the season? And are you in an agricultural area?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

15. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the sheds!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

16. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    @Siman, Thanks! I was pumped
    @Illinoishunter102, they are bothe demolished, if you walked them right now you would have a hard time finding a soybean left. they finished my soys off by december and the brasicas made it to late december, all that reamins is the stubs of rape roots and a few bubls here and there that are 3/4 ate. pretty wild I have five acres of plots on 40 acres hoped that this year would have enough to carry them through winter. So many deer moved in off neighboring properties that they ate them all. in mid december my one plot alone thats visible from the house you could count as many as 35 deer a night on it. It was wild. Both are good. Yeah i live in agriculture area. i would say the mix is around 70-30, 70 percent agricutlure fields 30 percent cover.

17. VERMONTSTER_0341

VERMONTSTER_0341 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You have to rotate plots that have soybeans every couple years right? If so, do you just swap your brassicas with the beans once you need to switch? I'm trying to figure out the whole crop rotation thing. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    well I have had brassicas in that spot for three years now so i have to rotate them out. the soybeans you could plant for three to four years at least in a row if you were sure to fertilize good with a pot ash heavy fertilizer.

The point of crop rotation is to avoid disease as well as depleting the soil of specific minerals, some plants use a large amount of specific minerals. for instance corn requires a huge amount of nitrogen, and soybeans fix nitrogen into the soil but require alot of potash. so following soybeans with corn helps increase corn yields. the biggest thing with food plots would be to avoid disease.

This year my rotation crop will be a mix consisting of winter peas, winter red wheat, winter oats, and re clover. going to plant this the last week of July just like i plant my brassicas mix. In order to rotate out of brasicas on a few of my plots that have been brassicas for a few years.

19. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, sounds like your food plots really held the deer close. Seems like both are good choices. Did you have a problem with deer heavily browsing your beans in the summer? Or did you fence them off?

20. pastorandrew

Dislikes Received:
    This is the first year I have ever been able to grow beans successfully. what I did was spray hot suace on them mixed into sprayer with the round up. you have to take the screens out of sprayer. It however seemed to keep the deer from eating them. I reapplied the mix every three weeks from late may through mid july.