Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

GOLDEN opportunity this fall, with a delima.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mobow, Jul 28, 2008.

1. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So, really long story short, I've got myself into just an incredible opportunity this fall. My shop owner won a hunt sponsored by Horton this fall, and Bob Foulkrod will be in camp with us. Camera crews, the whole deal. So I get to go along.

Horton apparently owns some acreage in northern Ohio, and that's where we will be hunting. October 1-5 are the dates. Anyway, I'm stoked as can be, but I have this one little delima. Poor poor me, I know....Anyway, I digress.

Well, it's Horton, right....the big time crossbow makers....And of course, they want us to either use a crossbow or one of the new Horton compounds. I shot them at the ATA show this past January, and they are pretty nice.

Ok, now to the delima. I'm not really all that fired up about shooting one w/ a crossbow. I have nothing against it, I'm just not interested. BUT, they will have X-bows there for us to use. But not a compound. So I would have to buy one. And I'm not all that fired up about that either.....I know I know....I sound juvenille and selfish. They're giving me this hunt, and I'm complaining. But I'm not really, I just want it to be the best it can be. I'm afraid shooting one w/ a crossbow will take something away from it, at least for me.

I'm INCREDIBLY grateful for the folks at Horton giving us this opportunity, and I'm equally grateful to my shop owner for wanting me to come along. This is just too good to pass up.....So let me ask you.....which would you do? I'm pretty open to any ideas here.....

What say ye?

2. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buy a Horton, put your accessories on it, use it for the hunt and then sell it as soon as you get back. You shouldn't lose that much money, and what money you DO lose consider it to be the cost of the whole trip.

I'd bet if you explained your dilemma to Horton, they'd sell you one at cost or at a substantial discount and you might even be able to come out ahead on the deal when you re-sold the bow.

3. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cross over to the "X" Side!!

Just never show up here again!!:evil:

Just kidding, I'd shoot one with the x-bow in a heartbeat. Go for it. It's a gift!!!!!

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had to use a crossbow one late season, due to a "hunting accident" in November that left my right arm useless. I can say that it was an experience I'll never forget. It wasn't nearly as easy to use as I thought it was going to be.

I'd go and use the crossbow, it would be an experience you can put in the memory bank and also actually know first hand what a crossbow hunter experiences. Nothing wrong with trying something different.

5. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd put $20 on him explaining it to Horton, and them telling him tough chit, our yard, our rules.:violin:

Listen to yourself. Free hunt. You've killed, what...one buck with archery equipment? Go on the hunt, have some fun. Its early season then, go whack some does. Regardless of the the weapon, the hunt will remain the same.

6. MOmighty

MOmighty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Greg on this one. He actually stole the words right out of my mouth. Buy a bow then resell it and you shouldnt lose much money.

7. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Buy the bow as said. i can tell and im proably the same way, a cross bow is just not my bag of tricks as well. Don this is awesome that you get to do this bro :cool:
    Make the best of it big guy, im sure your going to have a blast.

8. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Reminds me of a time back during the 80's when I was offered a Pro Staff job with a major cross bow Co that had just come out with a Compound. Even though I would have been shooting the Compound part of the position was to help market the cross bow.
    I know some of us are not in a position to go out and get a new bow for such a trip, so what ever you decide, enjoy the hunt.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I would be there with a crossbow in my hand to slay some deer. Like they say, don't knock it till you try it! :tu:

10. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You said this is with your shop. Couldn't your shop get a Horton bow in for a discount and then sell the bow at the same discount, your out no $ and you keep your integrity as far as your feelings for the hunt. I say kudos to you as I would be in the same boat.

Buy the Horton or stay home. (insert cheesy evil smile here).

11. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rob and Justin....you've both squarely hit the nail on the head. Your responses are the EXACT quandry I find myself in. The only other problem w/ buying the Horton compound is I would need to get the accessories as well, I'm NOT tearing apart my Hoyt 3 weeks into MO's season. Not gonna do it. Ahhh hell, I just don't know. I would feel a lot better about the x-bow if I had one around I could practice with. I'm not real comfortable having never shot one until the day I am going hunting....

12. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would buy a bunch of accessories that I've been wanting to try, but not sure on and put them on the bow and use that. If you don't like them, you've tried them in the field and you can ebay them, or I hear this site has a nifty classified section. ;)

As far as practicing with a crossbow, don't sweat it. I bought my dad one last year and once they are dialed in you are money with them. I'm sure they'll let you shoot one at camp so you can get used to the feel, but once you've got that, you are golden.

Either way, you're a lucky SOB. Good luck.

13. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ah heck go have a great time with the x-bow it is not like you are selling out or something!! Just have fun kill some deer and show up ol Mr.Foulkrod!!! Besides X-bows are legal in OH and it's not like you are keeping it!! Good Luck and post sme pics!!:deer: Walt

14. fulldraw

fulldraw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just because you use a crossbow does not mean you have it easy. I have friends & family in OH and some use crossbows exclusively. You still need them close and you still need to hit them in the right spot. I would take the hunt and enjoy it to the fullest.

If you go in with a chip on your shoulder, you will seem ungrateful and bring the mood of the camp down. Have a great hunt and good luck!

15. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly Mobow I wouldn't do it just because the word xbow is involved with the hunting. I don't care for them much in the archery seasons but who really cares what I think. It doesn't really matter though what I think or what others think, Its all up to you and I hope you do it and enjoy yourself to the fullest.:d

16. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Why? What's the difference? Its perfectly legal. It's a chance to hunt with Bob and listen to some of his stories around the campfire.....and I'm sure he has a few of them.

Mobow......How did your boss win a contest with Horton? Unless I missed it somewhere, it doesn't sound like you carry Horton. :confused:

17. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That don't mean nothing in my book Dan whether its legal or not! I don't care for the things, big deal! Something wrong with that?? Do I ask you why you think the way you do?? No! This isn't a xbow debate so lets leave that all alone already!! Like I said Mobow, whatever you choose to do, make it your own decision and not what someone else thinks you should do. If you choose to use a xbow, don't worry what others think. If you choose not to use one, don't worry what others think either. If you do go enjoy yourself and make the best of it!!

18. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could always hit up your Bowhunting.com/HNI buddies. I'd bet we all have extras laying around. Might not be what you want but I'd bet it's all good stuff!

:confused:

19. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Dude, relax. I wasn't making it a x-bow debate. I believe most people know that I have no problem with whatever weapon anyone choses to hunt with, as I hunt with about anything. I just think its rediculous that you would say to not go on the trip, experience whitetail hunting in new area, meet some awesome people, network, possibly open some new dorrs for the future....(should I keep going?)....because of the choice of weapon. :usa:

20. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Raffle. Simple as that. They drew his number. 1 chance in like.....5000...and he won.

This may all be moot anyway. The shop owner called me today, and there is some mass confusion on what week this hunt actually takes place. The date was changed, so the guy that was orginally going couldn't make it. His loss, my gain. But now, the date may have not been changed at all.....Long story, but suffice it to say there's some confusion. What I was told was a sure thing yesterday, isn't anymore. If it is indeed the original week, I'm out. Not going.

I will find out next week, postively for SURE, whether I'm going or not. I almost didn't post this yesterday out of fear of something like this happening. But alas, I did.....I tell ya, the last 2 weeks of my seemingly simple life has just been the proverbial roller coaster ride. I NEED to sit in a tree....I NEED to.