going to buy a new bow, what to get?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by MNbowhntr, Nov 17, 2013.

1. MNbowhntr

MNbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to buy a new bow before next season. I have always wanted a Mathews, are they really worth the money? The only one I have ever shot was the Switchback XT and I loved it. I have held a Z7 and hated it(never shot it) didn't like the top heavy fall out of your hand feel of them. Bows are so good now days and I am old enough to where if I buy the right bow I hope it will be my last!?!? I have shot Diamond bows for years now and really like them. I have also always wanted to shoot a PSE bow. Then there is Mathews?? Are they worth the money or are you paying for a name? Kinda have my eye on a Diamond Outlaw or a Black Ice FLX(If I could find a new one). In PSE I kinda like what I hear about the Brute X. As for Mathews if I could find a REALLY NICE Switchback XT or by some act of god a new one I would buy that in a heart beat. As for the newer Mathews bows I haven't even looked at them so I don't know what is good and not. I am for sure looking for a single cam bow. Any advice about the Diamond or PSE bows I am looking at or what Mathews would compare closest to the Switchback XT??

2. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Creed

You really need to personally shoot these bows but if you are leaning towards Mathews and a Solo Cam .. The Creed

You will be a Happy Hunter for many seasons.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think paying for name kinda goes with anything you buy. The best solution really is to just go shoot as many different bows as you can, or if you prefer one name over the others to start with then just go with it because the others will probably never compete with something (brand) you're already satisfied with.

4. MNbowhntr

MNbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I plan on shooting all of them first. I guess what I really should have asked is if there is a bow out there that compares to the Switchback XT to lean towards when I go into the Mathews dealer in my area

5. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What's your draw length?

6. MNbowhntr

MNbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't remember for sure? I have been shooting the same bow for a long time. I think it is 29 or 29.5

7. TAuth41

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

8. MNbowhntr

MNbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yeah I looked at that one and a couple others on there. There is a nicer one but I would need to change it out to my draw length. I think it was only a 26" draw

9. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    SsssWACK! DING DING DING We Have A Winner!

That's a good bow!

10. MNbowhntr

MNbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ok here is another question for you guys. I already know I love the way the Switchback XT shoots! How much to have one restrung and new cable installed?(using good to top of the line string and cable) Also do they still make new limbs for them? Just wondering if I bought one and put new limbs on it plus a new string and cable it would basically be a new bow again

11. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely! I restrung my old (think 94) Legacy at the pro shop and when I gave it to my boy he ordered a new cam to shorten the DL. Mathews has all the old parts so yes...

This is why I like them. They have been and continue to be around. Their bows speak for themselves...

12. TAuth41

Dislikes Received:
    My dad got his Mathews Drenalin with new cables, Mathews factory string, and installation for $120.

13. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    $100.+/- depends who ya know and where ya go.

14. MBrauer

MBrauer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im a Mathews guy... currently shooting the Creed and I love it to death. Cant go wrong with a Mathews. Give Prime a try though, I really do like their parallel cam idea.

15. Itsapipelinething

Itsapipelinething Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This year I switched from my pse xforce treestand model to a bear I know your probably saying bear.. Really no thanks! I was informed that bear now have some matthews engineers working for them so I said what the heck I will give bear at the least a few shots.... Well the outcome was me purchasing the bear agenda 7 and let me tell you IMO the bear brand has come leaps and bounds in last two years very nice bow easy to shoot very forgiving and as for hand shock there is next to none and I mean very very little! Bow is crazy quite and those two things are important to me! Moral of the story is I def love my new bow but when it comes to new bows pretty much all the big players have nice rigs for a hunting situation! I will tell you why I don't use matthews.. I kinda felt they are are fad bow I like sticking to the bow makers who have made bows since there was bows pse,bear,Hoyt,darton etc fad bows like high country and alpine where big because they awhere new and new technology where are they now? then when other bow makers catch up the new fad bows are just like the rest just another option and if you like paying for the name and paying more for accesories then shoot Matthew's or you can buy a staple brand set it up and buy arrows for about the same as a matthews with nothing on it!! Again this is only my opinion nothing more no expert advice but I do own a pro shop in a small town and we carry matthews, Hoyt, pse and Parker so I actually bought my bear from another shop after shooting one! Most of the time guys who wanna shoot matthews complain about the cost of the bow with nothing on it! Thanks for reading

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  16. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I LOVE my z7 xtreme. So much so that I went from a z7x, to a bowtech insanity, back to a z7x. I've shot a lot of other bows but always find myself drawn back to my xtreme.

THAT'S ME

Find a couple good shops and shoot all they have. Then find another shop with different brands and go shoot them.

Is mathews worth the money?... heck yes. Are you just paying for the name?.. Not at all. As a matter of fact, where I live, Mathews is easily one of the cheaper brands. On average the mathews flagship bow is $100-$150 cheaper than the flagship of bowtech and some bear brands. Obviously hoyt with their carbon series is well more expensive.

The short and skinny of what I'm saying. Mathews is a top brand, but shoot all the bows you can. If you end up with a mathews, you're not getting ripped off and paying for just a label.

17. Itsapipelinething

Itsapipelinething Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not saying they are junk no way didn't mean to offend you! Where are you from where matthews are cheaper than other bows because there msrp is always higher and they can't be sold for a loss!

18. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Elite and New Breed are two bow companies I would look at being in the market for another bow.

19. MNbowhntr

MNbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna try and shoot as many bows as I can but I kinda have a few models picked out as favorites already. Yeah I want to shoot a Bear bow also just haven't done any research yet to decide which one to look at. Also want to buy a bow that is sold/serviced within a 50 miles radius to me. Our so called Pro Shop in town here is a joke!! I wouldn't have them put a broadhead on an arrow thats how little trust I have in the guys working there. There are several within 50 miles of me. One that specializes in Mathews, one the specializes in PSE and Bowtech/Diamond and the other one I'm not sure what brands they carry as I've never been in there. Here good things about the guy working on bows but also hear that they are crazy high priced on everything.

20. Borgy76

Borgy76 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also check out warranty information on the bows you are looking at, you will find that not very many have a lifetime warranty on their stuff.