GOING IN BLIND: Developing a Plan Using Arial Photos (Location 1)

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by PolarBoy, Oct 9, 2015.

1. PolarBoy

PolarBoy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am a young, self-taught bow hunter, which puts me far behind most of you gnarly woodsmen out there, and why I am coming to YOU for some help; I would very much appreciate any feedback.

When I was younger, I was asked to spend a couple of years helping my uncle at the family farm in Northwestern Minnesota. He had suffered a back injury the year before and needed some help with the heavier lifting around the yard. It was hard work most of the time, but I did get the rare opportunity to scout and map the habits of the deer frequenting our area on a daily basis.

In short, I haven’t been back up there to hunt for a few years now, so I consider much of what I have learned over my time spent there to be relatively stale (I could be wrong by saying that). But for all intents and purposes, I am gonna treat this hunt as if I was going in blind. I attached a two maps: one that I constructed after careful observation of deer travel routes and bedding locations from a few years back, and one that is blank (in hopes someone might like to mark it up with their own incites). This is one of the three separate locations that I have monitored over the years, so if this gets good feedback, maybe I’ll post the others. But for as what I would like help on:

DATES: OCTOBER 24[SUP]TH[/SUP]-NOVEMBER 2[SUP]ND[/SUP]

1. What would be the first thing you would do (in terms of scouting) when I first arrive to camp?
      ****What entry points do you suggest according to different wind directions
    2. Where would you hang your stand, according to the map above?
    3. What scents or calls, if any, would you consider using?
    4. Decoy or no decoy?
    5. What would be the keys towards a successful hunt on this property?

We HAVE had some success over the past decade on this stretch of land, put strictly during rifle season (typically mid to late November for Minnesota hunters). What I consider to be a giant buck, my cousin took a 173” typical out of the marked, southeast bedding area on the map, after spotting it in the field on the way out to his stand and stalking up on it when it dove into the woods. But normally, we’ll expect to bag at least one 120+ a year out of this location, and that’s what I am after. I am only 25 years old, and have been bow hunting for about 7 years now. Can someone please help the kid out?!!

Thanks in advance, and everyone please remember your harnesses… would hate to see either of our names in one of these tree stand horror stories floating around.

Attached Files:

2. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    You're going to be hunting in the "seeking phase". Bucks should be out on their feet looking for some early receptive does. If it were me the first spots I would find are pinch points and funnels. Places where deer are bottle necked down when travelling from point A to point B. Ideally it would be nice to have a Topo Map to go along with those aerials as topography can play a huge role in how and where the deer travel. Ideally you would have at least two stands. The first sit I would set-up an observation stand. Possibly somewhere in the "B" region where you can watch the deer from a distance and get an understanding of their movement. Take the stand down after the sit. Mid day of your first hunt head toward one of those funnels/pinch points and find a place to hang a stand with some good deer sign based off the wind. Pick a few pinch points and hunt those all day long and I'd be very surprised if you don't get and opportunity at some deer. The reason for multiple stands is that wind will most likely change over that time period. Having a few stands to chose from will make it easier on you in the long run.

I'd stay away from scents and decoys. Call only if you see a buck in the distance not coming your way. That's my opinion but I know others have had success with using them.

3. PolarBoy

PolarBoy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for taking the time to get back to me with some solid stuff. I will do just that: hang a stand in or around B, and then move somewhere else afterwards (pinch points/bottnecks). But it does mean a lot someone was willing to put in some legitimate advice, so thank you.

In terms in topo, where the aerial was taken there lacks any real legitimate change in topography; it's like northern Iowa flat. Of course there will always be some sort of ebb in tide with the lay of the land, but for the most part, creek bottoms and water tend to be the only thing that causes any disruption on the landscape. So, where you see water on that photo, it tends to gradually drop by by 20 feet or so over a radius of 75 yards, with maybe one or two steep drops around F. If you were to see this response and get back to me, would you have any last advice?

Thanks again.