Going home again

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sharp things, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Sharp things

Sharp things Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the early 70's a bow was hanging from a nail on the garage wall at our farm house. Hanging next to it was a quiver with white and blue cedar arrows from the One Stop Sport Shop in Stevens Point, WI, The wooden arrows were tipped with Hilbre broadheads.

The bow was a Shakespeare Wonderbow Super Necedah. Hilbre head did not require glur to attach to the wood shaft, the plastic had internal threads that matched the arrow taper so you could securely attach them with a few twists.

When one of my older brothers and I were old enough to we would take turns. He would climb a tree and sit on a branch, I would hand up the bow and then an arrow. The next time, it was my turn to hunt. Once I handed up the bow and while handing up the arrow, the broadhead hit the string and we were finished hunting until we could make a trip to the One Stop Sport shop for a new one.

I never killed a deer with that bow. We eventually lost all the arrows and I went on to another bow and many more bows since then. I dont know whatever happened to that old Shakespeare Wonderbow.

As a broadhead collector, I was sure to gather up all the Hilbre heads I could find and I always kept a lookout for somebody selling that exact bow. Recently I found one. Today the brown truck brought it to me. At some point Im going to take this bow out and hunt with it.

Ive taken deer and bear with all homemade tread gear including homemade broadheads but I really want to take a WI whitetail with this bow. Im still waiting on the string I ordered. I wont cut this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

grommel, virginiashadow and Wop 75 like this.
  2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting thread. I used to sell a small label to the Root Archery Company in Columbia, SC. If I recall, it was part of the Shakespeare group. Wish I had bought a couple of bows from them.

Sharp things likes this.
  3. Sharp things

Dislikes Received:
    I have some Ernie Root bows. Root and Shakespeare later partnered and became one and the same.

4. Sharp things

Dislikes Received:
    The bowstring I ordered arrived in the mail. When I find some time, I want to sling some arrows with this old beauty.